Herb Sink Update - August 2022

 Back in February I bought a sink at Res-Q-Ranch to use as a planter.  I transplanted seedlings into it in May.   Until the plants were bigger I kept this wire on top to deter the neighbor's cat!  Ignore the larger plant in the middle, I'll talk about it after the rest.


The seeds were the Edible Flower and Herb Mix from Pinetree Seeds.   This is what the catalog description says:

 We import this unique mixture from the Netherlands. The herbs and edible flowers are both aromatic and tasty, adding both color and flavor to salads, meat dishes, and soups. It makes for a delicious and attractive window garden. Includes some of the following; oregano, calendula, monarda, perilla, thyme, nasturtium, agastache, allium, borage, hyssop, chamomile, melissa, basil, parsley, salvia.

Notice it says, "...includes some of the following..."  So, really, you never know what you're gonna get!  I am pleased with the variety that grew for me.  Not a lot considering 100 seeds (although, I may have part of a packet stored away), but a good variety.

By the end of June the sink was quite full, mostly due to the annuals.

Annuals included calendula and nasturtium,
 











German chamomile (Roman chamomile is a perennial),

 

parsley, and basil.  Although, it could be perilla (shiso).  Probably basil.  I took it and the parsley out.  Parsley because it would get too big for the sink, and the other just because.










The perennials are oregano,

anise hyssop (agastache) which just started blooming,

 and several hyssop, which I am particularly please about, at I've not grown it before.  At first I thought they were thyme of some sort, but running the photos through Google Lens I find they're hyssop.  Although, that one on one right (or top if you're looking at this on a "smartphone") still looks like a thyme.


 

That bigger plant in the center of the sink is calamintha (nepitella).  It was supposed to have pretty pale purple flowers.  It just ended up gangly like lemon balm with little nubbin flowers like lemon balm that never turned purple.  Ugly.  There are a few more of the plants somewhere in the garden where I transplanted them.  I took the sink one out.
 


So, for $1.95 packet of mixed flowering herb seeds I think I got my money's worth.  I like the sink too, although I'm going to take out the hyssop and anise hyssop (not related) and plant them somewhere they can stretch out more.  The oregano will be fine left as is.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts