City Wide Yard Sale Day - August 2022

This was going to be next week's Tuesday Treasures post, but what with my toe (which is better), the stinky smokey air outside, the heat, and the fact I now have some sort of stomach bug (low grade fever and stomach ache), I haven't been outside.  The garden looks bad anyway, summer heat has hit it hard.  I tore out all the vegetables, which is very early in the season for me to do. 

Saturday (8-27-22) was the nearby city-wide yard sale. Unfortunately, my toe was still very sore, so wasn't sure I'd be able to get out and walk around much.


It ended up my son drove around, but we didn't see many.  These sales used to be twice a year, but there was one in May. 
Too soon for another. There were no where near as many as in May, and fewer by far than in pre-COVID years.

    We stopped at just one.  I hobbled in, bought four things, hobbled out again.  That was it for me.  

Three Ucagco 50's hexagonal ceramic salt and pepper shakers made in Japan for $4.  "Birds in a Cage" is how they are described. 

 

Why three?  They came in the original box, and one was missing.




 

 

 

 

 

Ucagco is United China and Glass Co. of New York and New Orleans, which was a distributor of dinnerware and glassware from Japan. It was the first company after WWII to get a contract to import Japanese wares.  I mentioned in this post that one of the first industries to come back after WWII's impact on Japan's economy was ceramics.

Two vintage/antique/old cast iron finials for .50.  It's surprising how much these sell for online, $10-$20.

 

For .25 I got a paperback of the YA The Westing Game, by Ellen Raskin.  I've read it before, more than once, however forget how it ends!  It's a sort of mystery, but the reader needs to remember details that may be clues.

 

I don't usually share what my son finds, but this is so interesting I can't resist!  I think he paid 50 cents for it. It's missing the original drawer in the bottom that triggers the music box when pulled out, but you can trigger it yourself.  Not old, 1994.

That was the City Wide Yard Sale for me this year.  I was planning to go around and look for free piles in Sunday, but my toe was making me pay for doing too much.  That "too much" included one outing Saturday evening to a huge free pile nearby that was posted on Craigslist.  So much stuff, it'll be a while before I post.  I need to research things.  The sale had been a fundraiser for a political party I am not part of, and I wouldn't have spent a single cent to benefit it if it had been the sale.  However...  I'm happy to take away free things and make my own profit, because some of this stuff is quite valuable and will be easy to sell.  I always say, "I'm not a reseller," but in this case I will be.

Comments

  1. Sorry about your toe. I think the garage sales et al will come back sooner or later, just not quite right now. Until then, rest up. And take care.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts