Thirteen Things Thriving in the Cold - December 29, 2022

 Thursday Thirteen 

While it's warmer now, and been raining (or warmer now because it's been raining), the weeks before were very cold.  Nights were in the low 20's.  Still, there are plants that look no worse for wear, even some that shouldn't be cold hardy in my zone 8b.  Here are thirteen of them for your viewing pleasure.

1 - globe artichoke 

2 - blue flax 


3 - creeping wallflower


4 - dianthus 


5 - germander


6 - geum 


7 - hardy geranium 


8 - knautia


9 - lavender, Platinum Blonde (my only, of eight kinds) that looks good all winter


10 - oregano (this is Hot and Spicy, but all the oreganos look good)


11 - penstemon 


12 - sea thrift 


yarrow 



Comments

  1. I had some chickweed that I was feeding to my chickens and a bit of hardy turnip greens until our temps went down to 6 degrees and now there is nothing green left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice that so many plants are able to withstand the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live not far from Colleen, and everything is brown here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the second year that the angel trumpet plant in my backyard blooms in cold weather. I always thought they liked summer heat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a lot! And I might have, too, now that our snow is melting and exposing plants. And it will stay that way until Thursday, probably! I saw three dandelion flowers today on my exercise walk, too.Maybe I should do a post on greenery.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts