Tuesday Treasures and Owl Talk - March 14, 2023

 I've been to St. Vincent de Paul a few times lately, and bought nothing.  Nothing!  Another time I found one little (less than 2" little) clay owl for 75¢.  Someone donated a bunch of owls, but this is the only one I liked.  Did you know a bunch of owls is called a parliament?  It can also be called a congress, a hooting, or a stare of owls.   I like the idea of it being a stare of owls! 


Speaking of owls, I found another headless bird in my yard.  Or, Mickey found this one.  It was under the cedar where I found an owl pellet in 2021.  Great Horned owls, and owls in general, eat heads first for several reasons (I wonder if these are guesses, or the researchers asked the owls?).  One, the head is the most nutritious and delicious part of its prey.  Two, eating the head first ensures the prey is dead and can't fight back.  When an owl catches a small animal, it eats the head first, then swallow the body whole.  This headless bird was a small raptor (going by the talons), but the last one was big.  Really big, considering it was lacking the head.  The owl can only eat the head of larger prey.  What did I do?  Called my son of course, I don't deal with dead things!

Back to treasures.

Then, the St. Vincent de Paul drought ended.

In the case where they keep the expensive items, as well as small ones, although really there is no rhyme nor reason to what goes in there, I got this little baggie of these eight tiny dog charms.  One is missing it's hooky part.  The ones that are marked are from Japan, and they are all plastic.



They are very tiny!


That's it. Come back next week for more treasures!



 



Comments

  1. What is that little hook for? Is it a charm? A zipper pull? My imagination is running wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably charms. They remind me of the little ones I sometimes got in penny gum ball machines. Yes, penny! Now and then instead of gum it would give little things. They were plastic and had the little hooks as part of them too. These look a bit older. Not sure what they would be used for. I used double sided tape to stand them in my hutch.

      Delete
    2. Although, now that I think about it, the charms I got out of the gum ball machines were bigger than these.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts