Winter Sowing Update #1 - March 8, 2023

Winter Sowing germination has been slow.  No wonder with the weather we've had this winter!   I didn't sow nearly as many as past years, only 35.  So far just 9 have germinated.  

The old reliables Tidy Tips and Globe Gilia.  (Excuse the white dog hair in the gilia.  It happened with Boo, now it's happening with Mickey.  Take a photo and later see the hair. 😠)


Bachelor Buttons is one of the early sprouters too.  These are Polka Dot Mix.  I see one ungerminated seed sitting on top of the soil!


Japanese Radish (Daikon) and Russian Red Kale are the International offerings!  It's not optimal to Winter Sow radishes, or anything with long taproots, but I wanted these for a project I discarded.  I discarded the idea of the project, not the radishes.



Candytuft does well Winter Sown.


As does Yarrow.  This is Red Yarrow.  It seems there are a couple more mature than the others with the first sets of true leaves.  Soon they will look like teeny tiny yarrow plants.  Cute!




Blue Flax is one I try to grow every winter.  It's a nice perennial, and I like the bobbing flowers.  I'm still using the seeds I bought several years ago.


Violet Queen alyssum is up too, but so tiny I didn't bother to photographic it.  

Hopefully once the weather warms, and I can only assume it will eventually, more seeds will be up.  If they haven't rotted away in the wet soil.  Some containers are growing moss!

These are some of my containers last year, on March 13.  What a difference from this year.  







Comments

  1. What scares me about this winter: how hot is this summer going to get? It looks like things are going well, if not in the numbers you would like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those of us who garden know that we gamble each time we start seeds, whether in the outdoors or in pots to put out later. I've never done actual winter sowing (maybe laziness more than anything else). Right now I don't even want to start anything - I think we are about to pay for our mild January big time, which is what I was worried about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts