Tuesday Treasures - March 7, 2023

I stopped at the remodeled Goodwill again.  I found three things that were actually priced low!

This adorable 12" vintage clay donkey made in Mexico was under $4.  I think they mistook the coin slot in his neck for a crack.  He's a coin bank, but the kind you'd have to break to get into.  Too cute for that!  He wouldn't hold a lot anyway, he's very heavy and mostly solid.

You'd think he's be easy to identify online.  Nope.  Can't find any donkeys, banks or otherwise, anything like him.   It gets to the point where I just can't look at any more clay donkey images!


A mid 1960's Inter-Continental Hotels ashtray, from Geneva, Switzerland.  It was made for the hotel by Schonwald of Germany.  They've been making porcelain for the hospitality industry for more than 135 years.  $1.06


A watercolor, matted and framed.  $2.96 
 Or it was matted and framed.  I removed it to see more of the signature.  I still couldn't read it.  However, the reverse has a stamp, "LISBOA - Alfama."  Alfama is the oldest neighborbood in Lisbon, Portugal.  This particular scene is Beco da Corvinha.   A Beco is basically an alley.  Corvinha, or Curvinha is a feminine diminutive of the family name Curvo.  This is a popular cobblestone city walk for tourists, and this particular scene can be found in photos and other paintings.





I've put it in a dark blue frame, that shows some of the watercolor paper around the edges, and a black frame.  It looks quite nice.  If it wasn't marked on the back, I never would have thought Portugal.  I was stuck with Mexico or South America, where my other similar paintings are set.  The ones my son says I "always get," with terracotta tile roofs and stucco walls!   



Comments

  1. So, you have an aesthetic you like in paintings. Nothing wrong with that. It's a nice painting. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the look of stucco and terra cotta. I lived in Concord, CA and there were a lot of them downtown. Many streets had names in Spanish. I'm sure you find the same there. More so probably.

      Delete
  2. Like the landscapes I always get. And plaid shirts. We like what we like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't even my favorite scenes! I just stumble onto them. I think they are popular tourist street art, as I have them from Peru and several from Mexico as well. I do like the look of terra cotta tile roofs though.

      Delete
  3. You got some finds. The painting, you know I'll take scenes like that any day!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts