The Monster Squash

The Monster volunteer squash/pumpkin and smaller siblings are gone.  The below freezing temperatures last week killed them.  Tearing out the dead vines and leaves (a gooey mess), I think they were indeed Tatume.   
 
before frost
after frost

 









 Tatume, or Calabacita, a Mexican heirloom, is an aggressive plant, since each vine can root at each node, sending out even more vines.  Mine sent out vines to incredible lengths.  This habit does make it able to withstand any borer damage.

I hate summer squash, and while Tatume can be eaten small like zucchini, it can also be left to mature and used as winter squash.  Once the frost killed the plants, the fruit already changing color will continue to ripen off the vine.  But, I won't be eating them.  I broke one open, and found the meat will be too mealy for me.  I've read it compared to spaghetti squash (yuck), which I do not want.  I wanted nice firm meat to cook, puree, and freeze.  

I'll say this much for Tatume, it's produces like no squash I've ever grown or heard of before! I had The Monster, a younger and smaller one, and one in a raised bed (more on this below).  Here is some of the harvest:

The majority of them looked like this.

 


There was quite a variety though, so I wonder if they were a Tatume hybrid. 

Two of the plants were complete surprises, coming up outside of, and not near, any beds.  The other did grow in a bed where I'd planted Striped Green Cushaw.  These are not Striped Green Cushaw pumpkins.  They are beautiful though.  They started out with stripes, then most changed to solid green only a few starting to orange up.  Several were pear shaped, a few grew warts, and two were shaped like zucchini left on the vine too long.  Which pretty much tells me these are hybrids.  Did they volunteer, or did I drop some Cushaw seeds that were not Cushaw?  Who knows, but it was interesting to let them grow, if not filling my freezer.  The seeds were from a reliable source, which deepens the mystery.




 The plants were so big I'm glad the frost came!  It's nice to have those spaces back.  What a grassy, muddy mess underneath it all.  The vines filled the huge green waste trash container, with some leftover. 









 

Any squash volunteers next year will get pulled out! 

Comments

  1. Too bad you don't know where they came from. Perhaps someone has an interesting recipe for you that'll make them palatable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These fascinated me and my husband (who used to work in the supermarket produce field) both. It's not a variety he's familiar with. (He also told me he thought, since Tatume is an heirloom OP variety, some other pollen may have somehow been introduced to the parent plant during pollination, although I know reputable seed companies take various precautions so this shouldn't happen. At least you got a good blog post (or several) out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few years ago my Sweet Meat squash weren't, and the plants had several fruits that looked different from each other. Nasty tasting, I had to throw them out! You're right seed companies are usually careful. Some get their seeds from other growers, but this company didn't sell Tatume at all. Few do. Few people would have room for it!

      Delete
  3. What an interesting post. What a shame they weren't worth eating. They could have fed you all winter long. I have never grown Tatume and now I don't think I will! Trying new things is the best part of gardening. Sometimes you get a winner, sometimes you get a Tatume.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts