Insect House in Use! - July 30, 2022

 I was so excited to see my insect house being used by leaf-cutter bees!  Or maybe just one.  But, the bamboo and shaped wood pieces have been blocked up with leaves, and what may be petals.  I'm not sure what the white material is.   











 

I mentioned leaf-cutters just a few days ago, and how they chew round pieces from leaves to line and plug the cells where the eggs is laid.  

This photos is from a few years ago, showing some four o'clock leaves after a leaf-cutter visited.   Or it might be a sunflower leaf.


This is the insect house, one I bought at Goodwill in June of 2021, for the great price of $5.69.  I have another, smaller one that isn't being used (yet?) I paid more for.   Neither have sealed roofs, so I'll have to move them under the overhang by the house come rainy weather.   Because we will have rainy weather... right?  Just because today was 114, and as I write this as 10:55pm it's still over 90!  It's late for me to be up and blogging, but who can get to sleep when it's that hot out, when there's no air conditioner in the bedroom?  Not me and Mickey!


Have a good weekend. 

Comments

  1. Fascinating, seeing those tubes in use. I've never tried having an insect house. I've seen those pieces cut out of leaves before but I never knew what was doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to sleep when it's hot is the worst. I hope it cools down for you soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts