Insects I've Seen This Summer - July 2022

 It's disappointing to have so many flowers and so few butterflies.  It's not that I garden for the butterflies, but it would be nice to see a few stop by.  This year I've only seen skippers and cabbage whites. Lots of cabbage whites.   Here's a link for my post on late spring insects.

https://lisasgardenadventureinoregon.blogspot.com/2022/06/insects-in-late-spring-2022.html

This is a Golden Northern Bumble Bee on Knautia Macedonica Red Knight.

The Western Honey Bee on purple coneflower.


 A European Paper Wasp in the bronze fennel.

This is a type of Leaf-Cutter bee.  They don't have pollen baskets on their legs like honeybees, they have hairy abdomens.  A fun fact:  it takes 20 honeybees to equal the pollination of ONE leaf-cutter!

I love the back view, she looks so fat!  Yes, "she," as you can see in the photo above, she has black eyes.  Males have green eyes.  Females also have pointier abdomens and are larger.



 

Flower Longhorn Beetle (the "flower" is part of its name) in the narrow-leaf milkweed.   

 Here it is in action.  As you can see they're good pollinators!

Lacewing


Ornate Checkered Beetle, a good guy pollinator.


A bad guy Spotted Cucumber Beetle.
 

The Good Guy and Bad were on the same Powwow Wild Berry coneflower. 


 This last one is a Carpenter bee nectar robbing a four o'clock.

For more on nectar robbing, click here for a post I made.


 

Comments

  1. I could never get that close to bees or wasps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite the assortment you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bug posts. I have seen a few swallowtails, but in addition to the always absent monarchs, I'm not seeing many moths. Hardly any. I like moths.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts