Salt and Pepper Shakers Galore... and More! (or Pretending the Sky is Blue and the Air is Fresh) - July 31, 2022

I'm pretending that the sky isn't overcast with smoke, and the air quality isn't in the red (unhealthy), and that I can see the beautiful  mountains from my bedroom.  Part of keeping that illusion going is to stay indoors, so here's a post of what I did Friday and yesterday.

I found a garage sale with a box on the ground of what can only be described as "stuff."  It contained the most fascinating old "stuff."  Native American salt and pepper shakers for one, or three... sets that is.

 

Other items of interest:  Old campaign pins, one for Nixon!  A vintage Zippo lighter engraved with the name of a navy yeoman, with name of his submarine and dates he served (I assume), some old watches.  I found some pretty costume jewelry.  The round clip-on earrings with the iridescent Aurora Borealis rhinestones are marked Lisner, in a style dating them to the late 50's. 


There were bins full of $1 each Beanie Babies, of which I had no need (been there, done that, gave them away), and I noticed some old newspaper underneath them.  So, after moving the Beanies I found loads of vintage salt and pepper shakers!  These are the ones I picked out of the rest.  I intended to return Saturday to get more or make an offer to the husband on the entire lot.  It turns out the yellow eggs with rope handles (middle-ish) hung on the duck with outstretched wings I'd seen, so I went back early in the morning.  Sadly, the husband had sold the rest, bin included, to a man after I'd left on Friday.  The duck is useless without the actual salt and pepper shakers, so I wouldn't be surprised if I run into it at the Goodwill in the same area! *see edit below

 

These sell for a few dollars, to over $40 for some.  Here are some of my favorites.

Japanese lusterware egg/chick pair in a caddy.
 

Grasshoppers are not a very appetizing thing to see on a slice of watermelon!  This pair is from the 40's. 


Marked "Occupied Japan," which date them to between February 1947 and April 1952. The mark was a requirement of the American occupying forces (America occupied Japan after the end of WWII from September 1945 until April 28, 1952.  Not something I remember learning in school.)  Japanese ceramics was one of the first industries to come back after the devastation of the war to the Japanese economy.

"I'm Drip" and "I'm Drop"  Just what they are is up to your imagination!  There are many images online of these in white or pink, calling them onions and garlic, or in one case peppers. 

This last is my most unique set, dating to the 50's.  The mark is covered by the plastic hardware holding the upright post part, but I believe it to be U.S. made because it does show "...pending," part of "patent pending," a common mark on any U.S. product up to today.


  Oh, cost?  The husband quoted me $2 a pair on the salt and peppers, but he left.  His wife was motivated to move them, so between these, the jewelry, and all my son got, she accepted $23, less than what her husband wanted for just the salt and peppers!  He'd been telling her for years, literally, he was going to "look them up on eBay" to sell.  

 That's my little distraction for Sunday. 

*I bought a duck to carry the eggs on eBay.  It was eggless!




Comments

  1. That's quite a good haul. Too bad you couldn't get the rest later, but what you got is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I got my favorites, and the man got my leftovers!

      Delete
  2. I liked a lot of these. The Native American shakers would have caught my eye right away, along with the occupied Japan piece and maybe even the umbrella. Not that I would have known what I was looking at, just what I like looking at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I do a lot, go by what I like to look at, not knowing what I'm looking at!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts