Tuesday Treasures - January 24, 2023

 Long, long ago, in November,  I went to the Gingerbread Jubilee.  If you read that post you may recall I went to the remodeled Goodwill afterwards.  Yes, it's taken this long to get to that thrifting trip! 

I got an antique fox hunting (ick) color lithograph of a painting by Charles-Fernand de Condamy (French animal painter, 1855-1913), entitled The Death.  A horrid scene, yet a beautiful print, such vivid colors.  It seems a lot of his hunt scenes were made into prints in the late 1880's and early 1890's.   


Color lithographs are made up of tiny dots of color, but unlike modern ink jet printers, the dots are irregular.  It's easy to see the difference with either a magnifying glass or a phone camera zoomed in.  A good example are the trees.












Or, the sunset.

A completely different sort of artwork is this painting of a mill in winter, by Dally Picken.  I haven't identified Dally yet, however painting and framing suggests it dates to the 50's or 60's.  Just my uneducated guess!  It drew me for it's simple, almost primitive look.

There were two large interesting mixed medias.  Listening to my own advice, I zoomed in on portions and found the mixed parts were just added to the top of a print.  Those perfect little dots gave it away! 

Comments

  1. Interesting finds. I guess there are people who go out nowadays and disrupt fox hunts. Those have definitely waned in popularity as of late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be wrong, but I think they don't kill the fox anymore. Still, unless the foxes are used to it (and they actually may get used to the routine, they aren't stupid animals), it must be terribly frightening to them. Tradition is no reason to continue something like fox hunts, even if the fox survives to run to ground another day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts