Tuesday Treasures - January 3, 2023

 On one trip to St. Vincent de Paul in November, the manager announced that they were going to be putting out "1,000's" of Christmas items while closed that Sunday and Monday.  So, of course, I was there bright and early Tuesday, nearly as soon as they opened!  It was already busy.  It was true, there were SO many new things out.  Those Christmas items were already included in a previous post.  The non-holiday items were much more interesting.

Like this amazing 1940's (the newer ones look a bit less crude, and not nearly so charming) Tlaquepaque, Mexico, pottery chicken covered casserole dish! 

 

 I thought it was just a huge hen on a nest box.  I guess it is.  There is a specific area with the sign "Pottery" where they put their, well, their pottery.  I saw this, and immediately assumed it would be too expensive for my budget.  Then, I saw the tag was only $4.50, with the caveat "As Is."  Oh, dear...  I expected the worst, a big chip or crack.  Nope.  Just normal enamel and paint loss due to use and general age.  I'm not going to use her as a casserole dish. She's on top of my kitchen cabinets.

The base has handles.


Still such bright colors.


 This is ceramic flower frog is back marked with "Castelli," three castles and the initials D. G. A.  Castelli is an Italian town known for its ceramics, and has about a dozen workshops producing wares.   I have to assume D. G. A. is/was one particular ceramics workshop. 

 
Not all Castelli ceramics are marked with the triple castles, many just have a handwritten "Castelli, Italy."  Some do bear the castles and Castelli, but where mine has initials they have "Italia."

 
It's signed, and the signature does look like it contains a D and an G.  So maybe the D. G. A. is the artist.  I actually prefer the vintage glass frogs, but I'm not turning down the ceramic at a good price!  $3


A pair of 1950's salt and pepper shakers, made in Japan and with the cork stoppers intact.  The painted roosters are nearly entirely worn off.

 
My son, who hates going on busy days (really, who doesn't?), found something that made facing the crowd worth it.  

I love old book and magazine ads! 


So, I found my Christmas (used and mostly packed away now!), plus some.


 

Comments

  1. They sure know how to market, don't they? Come back after we've put out all the Christmas, and everyone did. Glad you found some great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they do! They also put teasers like that out on their light-up sign in front! Right now it says "Come in and see our mooers, cluckers, and cock-a-doodledooers," because someone donated hundreds of farm decor items! It's a bit much...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts