Shirley Poppies - June 24, 2023

I didn't get reseeded Shirley, or corn, poppies in the front yard this year.  Maybe four red ones.  Usually there are so many I pull them out.  I think our strange winter and spring weather are to blame.

But... in the backyard, in the far back bed against the fence, protected by wire and old tomato cages and a bed frame (protected from Mickey who peeks through the fence gaps and would trample growing things) there are lots!  And amazing ones!  I've never had these colors or shapes before.  

This first is the most spectacular. A pink and white and I don't know how many layers of petals it has.  Google Lens thinks it's a Chinese peony.  There are poppies called "peony poppies," so maybe this is one rather than a Shirley.

I'd been watching its bud for days.


Another beauty is this red with narrow white on the edges and yellow stamens. 

I never noticed such a variety in the middle colors, or the stamen colors before.

Here's another red with narrow white edges, but it has black stamens. 


Bright pink, like my Sunset rockrose.


A dark pink with white touches. 


Red with black stamens.


Red with yellow stamens. 


Red with wide white edges and black stamens.  

I've been eagerly checking on them every morning to see what's next!  Where did these poppies come from?  The only seed mixes I had that contained corn poppies were from the Dollar Tree.  They have a few different mixes, I don't know which I scattered in that bed.

Floral Friday Fotos

"Anything Goes" Pink Saturday 

#cornpoppypictures #shirleypoppypictures #poppypictures #redpoppypictures

Comments

  1. Lovely! How cool, they do resemble peonies. Happy PS have a wonderful weekend and last week of June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos of the blooms. I love the variety of colors and textures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting variety. It reminds me of high school biology and the genetics unit. I wonder how those are all related.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a variety. Beautiful! I've never heard of peony poppies and yours (if that is what it is) is stunning. I don't think I see too many poppies being grown where I live in New York State but maybe there are more than I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful flowers. How fun it must be to watch their progress. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts