Summer Solstice 2023

 Here we are, the first day of summer!  

You wouldn't know it by the weather around here the past few days.  It was cold.  Not just cool, but cold.  Haul out the sweatshirts and slippers cold.  Unpack the dog blankie and cover him at night cold. 

 Orange daylilies (ditch lilies) turn dark pink cold.  

June 17th 


June 20th


Pretty, but not their usual color.  

The American Revolution daylily kept its color.


 I think these black-eyed Susans are Autumn Forest.  I had seeds for them last year.  Or, they might be something a friend gave me. 


The mixed flower seeds in the bed at the far back fence had some pretty pink California poppies. Here they are with some pink catchfly, from the same seed mix.   Catchfly and California poppies are both in the Dollar Tree's Wildflower Blend, although I've never gotten pink poppies or catchfly before.  This year all I did was sprinkle the seeds.  Maybe the trick is to stop fussing over them!


Two evenings in a row a little crab spider has been laying in wait in a blanketflower.  


That is one bright blanketflower!  

A nice flower-filled (and spider) start to summer!  

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Some of the blanketflowers are almost TOO bright! One is called Bright Bi-Color.

      Delete
  2. So colorful and I learned something new. I've never seen day lilies change color because of cold. I won't hope for cold weather so that I can see that for myself - I will take your word for it. (My day lilies aren't blooming yet, anyway). I hope it warms up for you, but not scorching hot. The weather seems to work in extremes nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it either! I do know that my Wayside Knight Royale is paler than the online photos. I think sometimes soil differences change the colors too. That's just my guess, but it works for hydrangeas!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts