Tuesday Treasures - June 6, 2023

The Goodwill at the other end of town had three interesting, and inexpensive, finds the other day.

First, and I don't know what to call these, are two recycled metal art welded figures.  I am only guessing they are made in Mexico since the heads are made of Mexican coins.  Not old, since the coins are dated 1985 and 2002.  A weightlifter and some sort of racket sport where the player goes down on one knee... I think.  $1.16 each.


Now, here's something I really got wrong identifying!   A papier-mâché horse.  That much I got right.   $2.06

Just by the style of the painting, with the subjects of the birds and fruit, I thought it was Scandinavian.  Nope.  Way off!  Way, way off! 

This paper folk art is called Taka, and it is from the Philippines.  It originated in the town of Paete, Laguna.  Horses are one of the traditional figures, and often are painted red.  That makes them look all the more Scandinavian to me, like paper Dala horses!  I haven't seen any online with realistic horse hair colors or the detailed fruit saddle blanket.  Taka begins with a carved wooden structure, and are often toys.  

It's my first item from the Philippines.






Comments

  1. Wow, you really find some interesting items! Kudos! Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know what you'll find! That's the fun of it.

      Delete
  2. I would never have guessed the Philippines for that horse, not that I know a lot about art to begin with. It's a beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither, but I know nothing about Philippines folk art. Well, I know a little bit now. Still looks Scandinavian!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I thought the coin head figures were quite interesting. They were greasy too, like Vaseline sort of grease. Maybe part of the welding process still on them?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts