Tuesday Treasures - December 26, 2023

I have some great things this week! 

First, some adorable squirrel salt and pepper shakers from Goodwill.  Marked "Japan" and with cork stoppers.  Many online are marked "Occupied Japan," but these aren't, so would be a bit later, still 1950s. 


Then, these next are from an estate sale.  The first day I got these three postcards.  

This first is from 1913. 

I can find only one reference to "Athristin" online. "Athristin's L" was mentioned in Once a Week, a British literary magazine from 1859-1880, in an article on the Suez Canal.  The magazine has an interesting history.  Unfortunately, an "Athristin's L" search on the Google Play book goes to a blurry map.  I am not sure if it's "Athristin City" on the postcard or not.  Could be the name of an Egyptian hotel long gone. 


Two of the boardwalk in Ocean City, MD, c.1930-1945. I can't date more precisely as they were never postmarked. I didn't know Maryland had a boardwalk until now!  I know next to nothing about Maryland though.


This second was filled out, but never mailed.  

I saved the best for last!  I went back to the estate sale the next day (1/2 off day) to try to get something for a friend, but it was gone.  I'd loved a painting they had shown in the ad, and I'd seen it in person the day before.  It was still there, and while it was not the sort of bargain I'm used to, I bought it.  I'll call it was a Christmas present to myself!  By Carmen Bier (1927-2014).  All I can find on her is an obituary calling her "A talented artist..." who lived in Northern California (Marin and Contra Costa Counties). 

It does have a small tear, which you can see in the photo, but it isn't as noticeable now that the painting's hanging on the living room wall.  It did come in a frame.

I love the tree and its trunk on the hill.


Next week will be my favorite thrifts of 2023, one or two per month.

Comments

  1. That's pretty cool. I have several photo postcards of Seattle that my mother had from when she lived there in the late 1940's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are nice to have! I've found it interesting to learn how to date postcards, how one way is if there is a line down the middle ("this side for address...) or not. The 1913 above has no line, just been folded. Also, how much a stamp cost can date them, if you can't read the postmark.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They were! Estate sales are fun, if not as cheap as garage sales, at least the first day. If you have a armful of stuff they usually just say a price, and it's lower than if they added up the tags. The postcards came from a box that said the letters and cards were $5-$10. I wasn't going to pay that and was prepared to put them back. The woman in charge just said "$4" for them all so that was fine! The painting I paid the half-off they asked, it was worth it to me. I can see it right now from where I sit!

      Delete
  3. Ocean City, MD continues to be a very popular beach destination even in the present day. I've only been there once. You may have heard about Rehoboth Beach, DE from being frequented by the President - Ocean City is about 25 miles from there. My favorites of today's finds were the squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I've not heard of Rehoboth Beach! I am woefully ignorant of any of the eastern beaches! The squirrels are terrific! Perfect condition too, like kept as figurines and not used.

      Delete
  4. ...I love the vintage postcards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to find a good way to display them. I suppose the easiest would be like a photo album.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts