More Daylilies in Bloom - July 3, 2023

I have grown quite fond of daylilies!  My father was a gardener, and had ambitions for a time to have a nursery (the depression put and end to a lot of people's ambitions).  He had a "lath house" and grew a lot of things from seeds brought back from vacations, even sent from overseas.  But, we never had daylilies.  Could be they weren't native, because he was big on natives before it was a thing to be big on natives!  He also made his own compost, or "leaf mold" as he called it, long before that was "something."

Now, I have daylilies, and have been adding more every year.  

These are some unnamed that a friend grew from seed.  Daylilies don't necessarily bloom true to seed.  I have only grown them from seed once and they did stay the tall lemon yellow flowers like the parent plants.  These are big flowers.


The same friend gave me a division of this one, Edna Selman.


Lullaby Baby is from Smokey's Garden.   They have very good prices, and I've been happy enough with their daylilies I've ordered from them more than once.  I think I might have lost two of my new plants this year due to snails or slugs nibbling them to ground level this year.  Maybe the roots are still there and will surprise me. 



Scottish Fantasy from Breck's.  I've not been as happy with this company's daylilies, although is one is terrific! The roots were smaller and they took a lot longer than Smokey's to bloom.  More expensive, and one didn't live longer than two years either.  If I want to wait a long time for blooms I'll buy the really cheap ones from Walmart.  Which I have, and been perfectly happy with them. Daylilies live for ages, and can be divided to make many, many more, so if you're going to be living with the garden for a while, waiting is fine.  


Here are two I've posted before, Chesapeake Crableg.  It might be my favorite.  


A row of Bonanza planted from divisions in 2018.


I've got buds of other kinds forming!


Comments

  1. Very pretty. I like the peachy-yellow ones. (Now to go back and read the posts from this weekend. I was getting an error message saying the blog was private, and it wouldn't let me in before.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was doing some work on it, and made it private until I was finished. I get that message occasionally when linking from a blog hop. If only invited readers can see, why join the list? 🤷‍♀️

      Delete
    2. Whew. I was worried there for a bit.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts