The Dog Days of Summer - July 5, 2023

We are in the period known as the "Dog Days of Summer," which run from July 3 through August 11.  They're not called that because it's hot, too hot, not fit for a dog.  No, the phrase goes back a long, long way, all the way back to ancient Rome.  The dog star, Sirius, rises and sets with the sun, and they occupy the same region in the sky during this time. Sirius is so bright on July 23 the ancient Romans believed it gave off heat and made the sun's heat hotter.   The "Dog Days" last for 20 days prior, and 20 days after, Sirius' alignment with the sun on July 23, so July 3 - August 11.  


However, these days are too hot for dogs!  Mickey's shelter posted this to their Instagram.  That pleasant 77° walk you take can still burn your dog's paws. 

I know yesterday was Tuesday Treasures, however in keeping with the theme of "dogs," here is one I found at Goodwill.  

A Mexican pottery basset hound bank.  9" long, 6 1/2" tall, he's pretty big.   




What a little beggar!

Keep cool and keep your pets cool too.  Guinea pigs and rabbits appreciate a frozen water bottle to lay up against on hot days.  

Speaking of dogs...  I may live to regret picking this squeaky ball up from the Dollar Tree!



Comments

  1. Must be so hot for the dogs. Life must be so hard at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dog is stretched out on the floor in air conditioning, but there are too many that left out in the heat. It's 100 now, and is supposed to get to 101. You, on the other hand, are probably enjoying cool weather!

      Delete
  2. I remember reading about what the dog days were years ago, but for some reason I only think of it in August (when they're done), so thanks for the heads up. Now I'll remember now is dog days time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought too, and that it had to do with it being so hot the dogs just lay around!

      Delete
  3. A great warning, Lisa! I learned the lesson about how hot pavement can get the hard way when I took a brief walk in bare feet on what felt like a comfortable afternoon in Hawaii many years ago ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember some hot pavements at summer camp where we had to walk down to the lake barefoot - ouch! Not a great memory. How anyone can leave a dog in a car in this heat is beyond me. We got to 89 today which I know isn't hot compared to other places but still. People think if they crack the window open the dog is OK.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts