Tuesday Treasures - Christmas in July! July 25, 2023

 It been Christmas in July at the Goodwill Bins!  

Not all of these were found on the same visit, I've been saving them up for this post.

Those of us of a certain age will be familiar with these aluminum trees.  My grandmother had one on her dining table at holiday time, and after her death my parents kept it on their dining table too, which was actually the same table.

Still in the box, with the instructions and order form for replacement parts. I already sold it for $125. plus shipping!


Santa and Mrs. Claus made from rolled gauze and plaster, on bleach bottle bases.  I find no comparables to these, as they are handmade.  There are a few with the backs open, the bottle handle intact, but not made of plaster and gauze (they look like crumpled up pieces of colored cellophane with plastic doll faces).  A few scuffs in the paint, but otherwise the only problem is Santa's mustache needs a bit of repair.  

A humble door mat.  

The third shelf-sitter/knee-hugger elf found in the bins.  Why are people getting rid of their shelf-sitters?  

These pre-date Elf on a Shelf by decades.  This one is from the 1950s, and in perfect condition other than his tag was cut off.  I am a tag cutter-offer too, who would imagine anyone would ever care?  I don't know much about Elf on the Shelf, but I hope it gives credit to the old shelf-sitters and don't lead people to believe it's an original concept.

New glass bins were brought out during one of my visits. After the crowd wandered off, as I was taking one last look around, I checked a box that said it held a stained glass gingerbread house lamp.  I didn't expect it to there. It was.  I didn't expect it to be intact, since why would all the other shoppers (including one of the usual resellers) leave it?  It is intact, no cracks or broken pieces, and the lights both work!  


It's Christmas (and Halloween and Easter) in July, and every day in the Goodwill Bins!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts