Autumnal Equinox 2023

🍁 Happy Autumnal Equinox!   🍁 🍂 

Here we are!  We made it!  Autumn has finally arrived! 

Nights have certainly been cooler, and mornings lately have been as low as 43°.  Blankets on the bed, sweaters in the mornings, and Mickey under his sofa blankie.  He is NOT a "wienie"!  That's what some family members call him when he hunkers down. 


 One thing I can count on to appear in early autumn is the autumn crocus.  I've posted about them before, however, those posts are among the ones I can't find.  

My little patch is growing in the bed where I removed a dead peach tree.  After they die back I'll move them. 

Every year I am fascinated by the square patterns on the petals.


Autumn Crocus.  Colchicum autumnale.  They bloom in autumn.  They look like (giant) crocus, but aren't. 
Spring flowering crocus is in the iris family, while these are members of the lily family.   Some people call them "naked ladies," however there are other flowers with that nickname too.  In my experience "naked ladies" are amaryllis.   Not the forced kind you get a Christmas, the kind in the garden.  They reason for the nickname is that during bloom time there are no leaves.  Those appear alone in spring.

Happy Autumn!  
Happy Fall!  
Good Riddance Summer!
🍂

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Mine just appeared. I did use some used soil from around the yard when I moved in and built the bed, so maybe they were in that. No leaves now, but when the leaves grow there are lots of them!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes, I feel like a wimp, especially when the first cold nights come. Now it's time for cuttings and moving some plants indoors. Time for apples and hot tea and apple cider - no, wait, apple cider is so expensive this year, at least here. But anyway. Happy fall to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't grow anything that can't withstand our winters, unless annuals. Don't want to bother. I don't have a garage anyway, and I think the shed gets as cold as outside, even if frost doesn't get in.

      Delete
  3. Our weather cooled off, too. May we have a lovely, cool autumn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts