Autumn's Closing In - September 10, 2023

 Two weeks from yesterday will be the Autumnal Equinox.  I have never been happier to leave a summer behind!

The garden knows fall is coming.

Hood strawberries, which have gone wild in runner abandon.

A pomegranate, the name I can't remember, and I can't find on the blog.  Where do some posts go?   I know I posted about it, as it was an exciting day.  It was early in the COVID shutdowns, and I wasn't going into stores.  I saw plants for sale outside the grocery store and told my son to buy one, anything!  He knew I had blueberries, so got a pomegranate.  It had its first two flowers this year, which got eaten off one night.  

Young Frost peach I grew from a pit in 2019. 

https://lisasgardenadventureinoregon.blogspot.com/2019/04/refrigerated-fruit-and-nut-seed.html

Virginia creeper I gave up trying to eradicate. 


The wild grapes are ripening.  They are quite attractive, and in a place I don't mind them being messy.  I would expect birds to be eating them, but so far, none.  


Speaking of eating... I'm not.   I did try a few and while they do taste like grapes (no surprise there!), they are quite tart.   And, as you can see, mostly seeds.  They can be used to make jams, jellies, juices, and wines, but it's not something I'm wanting to do.


This is Penny, the cat next door walking along the top of the fence covered in wild grape vines.  


She reached her goal, one of the fence posts.   They tree in the background is starting to color up for autumn. 



Comments

  1. We are starting to see some fall color and I saw the first New England asters where I live today (the one I showed on my blog the other day was located in southwestern Vermont). One thing I need to caution your readers about is something that may not be an issue whee you live. We had wild grapes growing on our rural Arkansas land where we lived for several years back in the 1980's. We finally decided to try them but first we took them to the local extension service because something about them just seemed a little "off". Good thing, too because they were actually something called common moonseed, which is poisonous! (It was common in that part of Arkansas). Hopefully this isn't a plant growing in your part of Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we don't have common moonseed. I looked it up to see what it looked like. Not quite like grapes, once you see the actual wild grapes. And what strange crescent moon shaped seeds that give it its name! Mine is Vitis californica, California wild grape, or Pacific grape. It's used as rootstock for wine grapes. Thanks for pointing out the dangers of look-alike plants.

      Delete
  2. Don't you hate it when you can't find a specific post? I use tags, but then I don't necessarily remember which tag I used. Then I use the search bar, and sometimes the right post will pop up, but sometimes I can't find it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the strange thing here, I KNOW I have posted this plant more than once! I suppose I may have misspelled "pomegranate," which would make the search useless. I try to remember to put my photos in named files if I don't name them individually. I spelled it right in my files.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts