Saturday Special - Estate Sale News and the BIG Rain!


 I mentioned yesterday I was going to an estate sale.  I did, and it was quite a nice one!  Huge, and some things priced way beyond my means, but a lot was reasonable.  Plus, at a lot of estate sales run by professionals they give one price for everything in a box.  Some of my things were priced, but most weren't.  

I guess my favorite thing is this milk glass hen on nest, Indiana Glass, like the ones I posted about here.  Since it's the striated nest it's not going to have the ring of fire old milk glass has as the striations began around 1972.  I have three colors of this hen now!

Also milk glass a flower frog.  

My second wall mount receipt spike!  2/3 of a collection, since by my rules it takes three to make a collection. This one is from the 1920s.

I love old photos and postcards.  All the photos were professional portrait types, and I didn't like them enough to even ask the prices.  I did get a old German postcard book though, 20 views of the Rhine,  based on oil paintings by Nikolai von Astudin (1848-1925).  There is no date of publication.  Romantic paintings of the Rhine were popular around 1900. 


Of course dogs! 

Two are marked Japan.  The others probably are too.  These are little guys, 1 1/2" to 2" for the black and white one.  The dog playing a horn is a vase.  A very tiny vase.  The spaniel or Pekinese on the bottom is a pale blue. 

My largest Rio Hondo dog, this one measuring 3" high.

This one is said to look like Tramp, both by people I know and sellers online, who call him "Tramp-like."

Cut to some mosaics.

Ever heard of "toilet pins"?  I got them just because I hadn't and the box is pretty amazing!  They were used by Victorian Era women to secure their clothing, and kept on a dressing table.  "Toilet" didn't have the same meaning then as now.

Then one of those woven trivets everyone on Instagram goes ga-ga over.  The scoopy thing on the bottom turned out to be an antique cup used by priests to give holy water during last rites.  Oh...  It was part of a kit, in fact this was made by Sick-Call Outfit


You can't tell, but the item in the upper left is a vintage/antique cookie cutter.  The rabbit is from the 1930s (FORMAY was a brand of canned shortening), and the pastry wheel was made in Germany and has a wooden handle.

"The Canal" color lithograph in a nice same era frame.  Naturally, it's in need of a mat.  I have edited the information as I discovered more about this particular print.  It was framed locally in a photography studio that operated from c1913 to 1921.  It's older than I thought.  The studio sticker is on the back of the frame.  The building is now on the National Registry of Historic Places.  And to think I drive by it and never knew!  There seem to be dozens of places in town on the Registry!  Maybe I should learn more about my adopted area!



A lot of things were in boxes tucked under tables full of like objects.  
That's a common estate sale thing.  I'm glad I went back to the beginning to look under the tables, because I found a swung vase!



See the lip?  That's formed when the still warm glass is literally swung, like a pendulum, while stretching the glass. 

I got my son a few days early birthday present of a 1950s Smith-Corona Sterling typewriter (green keys - obviously, but that's part of the description since there are other color keys.  I think my son has a blue key one too.).  He collects vintage manual typewriters, this is his fifth.  Two of the others were found in thrift stores, one was free on a curb, and a light blue child's (smaller) in the Goodwill Bins!


Lastly, a litho of Seeing America, from painting by Granby, no publisher mark (I find zero information on the print, the painting, or the artist), and a vintage plastic Flower of Disney's Bambi fame.  Flower was also for my son.  There was a tiny ivory vase shaped like a jug, but I decided I didn't like it.




Of course, the typewriter was the biggest expenditure, but far, far lower than it's value.  Only five things were pre-priced, the rest were the box price.  

The house was an old farm house, which is now for sale along with property, for over 600,000.  It will cost that to repair the place.  A lot of what I bought was outside, which was fine when I was there.  However we got a huge sudden rainstorm yesterday around 5:30pm.  Then wind and thunder.  There was 2" of rain in one hour!  It was nice, then it was coming down.  The friend I went to the sale with and I were wondering what they did at the sale.  


Mickey was NOT a fan, but he couldn't take his eyes off it!


I know from experience not to let him out when there is thunder.  He's manic and races around the yard barking at the sky, and I am completely unable to stop him!  So, he was limited to watching and listening.  The whining turned into barks.


Oh, if you wonder what you can do with a flower frog beyond holding stems or looking pretty in a hutch, here's an idea.  The holes are smaller on the bottom, so pens etc. won't fall through if you lift it.  I put mine in the hutch to look pretty.


It was a successful and fun estate sale!  




Comments

  1. My favorite, of course, was the chicken. I wouldn't have had the knowledge to ferret out your finds, but my late other in law, in her 30's, used to go to these sales often with an inlaw who was knowledgeable, I'm told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time I do my ferreting after the fact. I knew I wanted the hen, since it goes with my others. Being interesting in library work, you probably like research as much as I do!

      Delete
  2. You made quite the haul. Some nice finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleased the hen on nest was still there, as it was the second day of the sale. The estate sale companies show a lot of photos on their website (or an estate sale one I guess, estatesales.net), so I can see if I want to bother going.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts