Tuesday Treasures - September 5, 2023

After last weeks' extra long Bins post, here's a short one, a single item.

 I often drop in to Goodwill after grocery shopping, if at the one nearest my house, or before grocery shopping if it's at the other end of town.  One day in the nearby store I spotted the bottom of a glass hen on a nest, just the nest in other words.  I don't buy tops or bottoms hoping to match them up some day.   Then, a few days later the employees were rolling out a cart of new merchandise, which I always rush to.  There was the top of the hen!   The bottom was still there, and the employees peeled of the top's sticker, so I paid one price for the two, as it should have been.  The top had just gotten in that day, so it was just pure luck, or whatever, chance I guess, that the top was sent to the right store.  $3.86

Anyway, it's an amber Indiana Glass hen on nest, like the avocado one I got at a garage sale earlier this year for $3.  


No, not "like" it, there is a difference in the nest.  This one has a striated nest, to replicate a nest of straw, which may have been introduced in 1972 or 1973.


The avocado is stippled, an early version.  Mine was bought from an elderly man who said it was "more than 60 years old."  Like me...


Something I find interesting about the lids, they have a circular mark.    This is a valve mark caused by a valve lifting the glass out of the mold.  The oldest hens were made by hand and don't have this mark, the mold was just turned upside down. 




Want to know more about Indiana Glass hens on nests?  Here you go.  
I hope to find more in the wild (find on my own, not look for online and purchase on eBay or Etsy, etc.) as they come in so many fabulous colors.



Comments

  1. I have a pinkish chicken nest like this, but I bought it new, I think in 1995, in a Mennonite/Amish store in a rural area a few miles outside of Iowa City, Iowa. My aunt, who lived in Iowa City, took us there - a place without a sign, that only locals knew about. I have to look at it now (or in the near future, I mean) and see and learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did make them into the '90s., and there were a few different pinks made, so it might be Indiana Glass. My mother had milk glass hens when I was a child, as did her mother, but I don't remember them being in her belongs after she died.

      Delete
  2. That is some luck that you were able to get both pieces like that. Those look vaguely familiar, but I don't think we had anything similar in my childhood home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so surprising! Perfect timing. Of course, there are more times I am not in the right place at the right time. It's not like the universe is guiding me to find hen on nest parts!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts