Tuesday Treasures - November 14, 2023

I found a fabulous monotype at Goodwill recently.  It's signed in pencil, but I can't make out the signature.  It's called, at least as far as I can make out, "Turquoise Memories."  It's printed on black paper, and the signature and title are in the black bottom margin.  


A monotype is a kind of print where the artist creates just one print that cannot be replicated, rather than multiples (numbered editions).  A monotype is made with ink or paint applied directly onto the plate (glass, metal, etc.)  The paper is then pressed by hand or with a printing press, which produces a mirror image of what is on the plate. The artist can layer more prints, or mask areas from printing.  If there is enough paint or ink on the plate another print may be made, a "ghost print." 


It was unmatted and unframed, sealed in plastic.  The colors caught my eye, and I picked it up to see if it was original.  On the back was the artist's sticker revealing this to be a monotype, and that the artist had priced it at $550!   Too bad I can't read the artist's signature.  I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like it and want it for myself though.   I do hesitate though before paying $5.21, which is what this cost.  I have "musts" for artwork.  One, it must catch my eye right off.  Two, it must be original, which includes numbered prints, or antique lithographs.  Three... I guess three would have to be affordable.  The most I've ever paid for thrift store artwork is $25 for a large painting that is in the running for favorite.

I have another monotype I don't believe I've ever shared.  I bought it from the artist in 2005.  It's a good example of showing how monotypes can only be one single print.  See the wrinkles in the sky?  The artist and I discussed how perfectly they turned out, and he said that was an unexpected outcome he was pleased with.  


Also, he painted the people onto the plate, and that could never be replicated.  Any future print would be a different monotype, another 1/1.  



Comments

  1. Very nice. Maybe someone better than me can help you decipher the signature. It looks like Toquaire Mencias to me. That's nowhere near correct, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was "Tangerine" at first, then noticed the turquoise in the piece! Turquoise made so much more sense than Tangerine!

      Delete
  2. There's a lot of Turquoise Memories artwork out there (as per a quick Internet search). I have no clue what the signature says, but I wonder if the artist knows that his work sold for $5.21 and what that person would think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few times I've been able to contact the artists about the work. Some have asked where I got it, and I say "a thrift store," which seems bad enough. I don't tell them when I found it in the Goodwill salvage bins! I've gotten quite a few listed artists' work in thrift stores, even the bins. That's why I donate any I don't want (or rescue just to save them) to St. Vincent de Paul. Goodwill has more stores, but they can't keep everything very long. So lots of good things still get dumped. Maybe the artists donate themselves for a tax write-off?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts