Tuesday Treasures - November 7, 2023

Goodwill Treasures

  A 1950s set of wooden salt and pepper shakers, souvenirs of Tulsa, OK.  You can find them bearing other city's names. 1950s.  $2.00 



These next two (from a different Goodwill) were sold together in a bag for $1.16.  Other than both being brown there is no reason for them to be sold together.  One is ceramic, one is wood.  One is from the U.S., the other New Zealand. 

The dog is a wall plaque, the mold being made by Arnel's.  Arnel's, Beaverton, OR (near Portland) was a huge producer of ceramic molds and finished wares starting in 1953.  This dog would have been sold as bisqueware and painted by the purchaser, either in home or in a paint-a-piece studio.  There is a companion arched back cat, apparently afraid of the barking dog.


This is a kiwi.  Bird, not fruit.  It was hand-carved in Rotorua, New Zealand from matai (black pine) wood.  I know because there is a paper label on the bottom.  I don't think the woodcarver added the eyes, and I wish I could wipe them off.  Other examples of this fat little fella don't have eyes.  

Comments

  1. Some interesting finds. I guess the previous owner wanted eyes on the kiwi. (Now I'm thinking about that kiwi video I posted a while back...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the kiwi, eyes and all. Actually, without the eyes, I may not have guessed this was a bird, but it's too bad that the artist's vision was modified by a previous owner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate seeing art that people have "upgraded" by adding their own things. Usually they add space ships and silly monsters. Use prints, not original art. Then again, so much is thrown out (as witnessed in the Goodwill bins), at least they are being enjoyed.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts