Tuesday Treasures - November 21, 2023

Since Thursday is Thanksgiving in the U.S. I thought I'd use this Tuesday Treasures for a Thanksgiving special of Gurley, possible Gurley reproductions, and an amber glass soup bowl. 

The whole gang together.

The pilgrim couples below are from the Goodwill Bins, and the turkey is from a Goodwill retail store for 71¢.  Oh, they could have asked a lot more and I would still have bought it!  


I am not completely convinced the pilgrims are Gurley.  I have some that still have the labels and there are differences.  You can really see them in the side by side of the men.  The original Gurley is on the left.  The Vermont Country Store has reproductions of other Gurley candles.  It's also possible they made changes over the years of production.  


The large pale turkey and Native Americans were my paternal grandmother's. 


A pilgrim couple and medium dark turkey were my family's.  I always liked the dark turkeys better than the pale.  All these and the ones above have the Gurley labels.


Gurley as a candle company began in 1939, but it wasn't until they joined with what is now ExxonMobile to recycle the excess paraffin that resulted during the oil refining process that they began making decorative candles. 

Prices sure have changed!  The big turkey cost a whopping 79¢.


My L. E. Smith Glass turkey had to come out too!  Originally an individual soup tureen, now they are mostly used, if they are used at all, for candies.  I said it before, and here I am saying it again, it's rather repulsive and worm-like!


 These are sitting on a pretty Thanksgiving table cloth I rescued from the Goodwill Bins. 


Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving! 




 

Comments

  1. That is quite the collection. I had never heard of Gurley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably wouldn't have it my mother hadn't had them already, with the labels, so I recognized them online.

      Delete
  2. I like that table cloth. You are an expert thrift shopper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cute one, and so appropriate! I don't know about "expert," I do seem to do well finding what I like!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts