Sunday Stamps: Blue

 Sunday Stamps is another new blog hop for me.  This Sunday's theme is "the colour blue."  I've gone with the color blue, since I'm in the U.S.  🤣

I've been collecting stamps on and off since I was a little girl in the 1960s.  My aunt, father's sister, and uncle, her husband, lived in many interesting places around the globe due to his work (with the UN), and my father would save the stamps on their letters for my album.   I think some are leftovers from my older brother's album as well.

When I was in middle school my family and I spent a year traveling Europe, and some letters sent back to relatives were saved, so I have those stamps too.  Most of the stamps from that time period though were obtained at gas stations!  Like long ago days in the U.S. when gas stations gave out premiums of drinking glasses, some European stations gave out foreign (not the country of the station's location) stamps and coins!  

Later, when my children were young we would go to the local stamp store.  The owner had two shoe boxes stuffed with stamps of little value.  She allowed customers to take them home, and later return them  and pay for the stamps were kept.  They were 1¢ for U.S. stamps and 2¢ for foreign ones.  At times my children were home schooled, and we would attempt to find stamps to go with their studies.  For instance, one year we went through countries around the world A - Z.  We tried to find stamps to add to their folders from Australia on through Z.  Not all were found of course.  

So, back to the color blue, or colour blue stamps.

Cuba, 1982 on the right, 1983 on the left.  The one on the right depicts Cuban exports, the left the national flower of Cuba, Mariposa.

Djibouti, French Somali Coast, from 1943.


Italy, 1927, featuring Alessandro Volta, the Italian scientist who is credited with inventing the electric battery.  The volt is named in his honor.  The stamp was issued on the 100th anniversary of his death.

USSR, 1960.  It's just what it looks to be, a helicopter over the Kremlin.


Next week is Illustrated stamps. 


Comments

  1. Great stamps, Lisa, thanks for sharing your story. Welcome to our little group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was thrilled to find a stamp and postcard blog hop! I'm not sure how long before I run out, or need to repeat.

      Delete
  2. I had an uncle who collected stamps. I have no idea what happened to his collection after he passed away (many years ago) but it's too bad I never got to look at it. Blue stamps. They are all interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest brother collected stamps, and somehow over the years I ended up with the album. I know I had it as an adult, but couldn't find it recently. I may have told him and he wanted it back.

      Delete
  3. My favorite stamp is the Russian helicopter. The Somali stamp is pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like blue, so I liked picking out blue stamps! I like the Somali coast one best here.

      Delete
  4. Oh I repeat sometimes. Thanks for sharing your blue stamps, and welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect stamps you found!
    I'm glad you have joined Sunday Stamps, too. Don't you collect stamps any more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, but not many come my way! I do get some ordering seeds from other countries, and US ones. There is one stamp shop in town, but I haven't been there yet. The reviews are mixed, and were about coins.

      Delete
  6. Great shades of blue. I collected stamps for about 5 minutes in the '80s (it seemed like the *it* hobby for a time), but it proved to be too much work for me. I look forward to seeing more of your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the "it" hobby for every generation! My kids never took to it. My youngest thought it was boring. I see them as little works of art.

      Delete
  7. It's interesting to read your backstory, thank you. I don't see many Cuban stamps, makes me want to look up their exports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my point of view, they are fairly new stamps, so would have been some of the 2¢ stamps I bought when my oldest was a child.

      Delete
  8. Love the Djibouti stamp, it has the elements I like, palm trees, sailing ships and trains.
    I remember the points for drinking glasses at petrol stations, different times. I still have some of the football teams (soccer to you) coins they used to give away, goes without saying none of the glasses!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts