Tuesday Treasures - February 27, 2024 - A Bins Extravaganza!

 No books, which is what I went to the Goodwill Bins to find, however, it was still a productive visit!  Here are the best four items.

This is a 1940s table lamp made by Aladdin (earlier they were know for kerosene lamps), in their own glass called Alacite, which they called "ivory opal glass".  

It's like milk glass, and the oak leaf pattern reminds me of a white jadite carving.  Absolutely no cracks or chips!  


There is a double ended fixture inside, with a bulb facing down to light the base.  The cord itself has been replaced, but the "guts" is original, and the cord is attached with electrical tape and wire nuts.  I have not tried it.  Even if it doesn't work it's beautiful.  At 59¢ a pound I couldn't go wrong!  Electronics (battery operated or corded things) are cheap since they can't be tested (an old cord almost started a fire last year).

It is the "old formula," meaning it contains uranium oxide as a coloring agent and glows green under a UV light.  The "new formula" doesn't.  Uranium oxide was banned in 1942 due to its use in developing the atomic bomb, and the governments of several countries feared for the health of glassworkers.  The ban was lifted in 1958, but by then there were cheaper options.    

How about this?  I LOVE crows, so this caught my eye as soon as I walked in.  I left it, at first, since it still had the tags and sticker (98.95!) with a barcode with "Made in China."  So, I thought, no...  shopped, bought my stuff, loaded it all into the car, and brought my cart back.  There it was, catching my eye again.  It's big, 30" x 24", and painted on wood.  It is painted, and is wood.  Large and/or heavy items are not usually by the pound, so I asked, and it was just $2.  

poor photo, the colors are nicer!

It's confusing.  It's from Primitives by Kathy, designed by Jude (Judy Johnson Collection), made in China.  The company produces a lot of... umm... stuff not up my alley.  Cutesy home decor.  Some of the wooden items are hand-painted.  Like this.  I can find no others online like it, or even similar.  It probably came from a local home goods/decor store (shudder).  I have only found a set of three hand-painted wooden bowls on Etsy from the 1990s and a single painted bowl on eBay.  Lots of the home decor (shudder) around though.  If it were not an actual painting, I'd have passed.  


Love that look in the crow's eye!


I  had to play artwork Tetris to make room on the kitchen wall.  I sacrificed one of my Bos still life prints for it.  Well, not sacrificed as got rid of, just took down for now.

Pretty good cheap haul!

Comments

  1. You did very well. Love the painting.

    Have a fabulous day and week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good finds, for sure. You really know how to find the treasures. I LOVE the table lamp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first lamp is great. Soon, you're going to have your walls fully covered with art.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts