Thursday Postcard Hunt: Houses

 Thursday Postcard Hunt  

Houses

A house in Germany, near Linderhof Palace.   The owners rented out a bedroom to tourists, which was quite common in Europe in the early 1970s; maybe it still is.  A "Continental Breakfast" was most often included, which consisted of rolls such as croissants or French rolls, and a beverage.  My parents and I stayed here one night, and the next morning visited Linderhof, where we were quite surprised to find the ticket seller was our previous night's host! 

"A Southern California Home"


Betsy Ross's bedroom in the Betsy Ross House in Philadelphia.  


1979 postcard of San Francisco Victorian, Painted Lady, row houses.  Not sure why it says "San Francisco at Night."  These particular houses are nicknamed "The Seven Sisters," and have become quite a magnet for tourists since they were featured on the television show "Full House."


Marken, North Holland, Netherlands - the back reads "Typical Houses"


Amsterdam, Capital of the Netherlands, typical houses built along canals.


Next week, Temples and Churches.  

Comments

  1. I really love the story behind the first postcard!

    And I don't understand why it reads "San Francisco at night", either. I guess it's just a typo, and the sentence belongs to another picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is actually more to that story! My father didn't recognize the ticker seller at first, as he was wearing an eye patch. He told my mother and me later he just thought it odd that the ticker seller and the previous night's host both were missing an eye. The host when he was at home didn't wear the eye patch! He raised it when my father didn't recognize him.

      Delete
  2. The first house is so characteristic and so similar to many houses on the Swiss and Italian Alps where I come from: reminds me of my youth :-) All the Netherland houses are so distintive and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those are fun! It's great to see snapshots of history--especially when they're places you visited and/or are special to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my mother and grandmother kept letters and postcards we sent them, otherwise all my trip memories from most vacations are either still on Super 8 movie reels or slides.

      Delete
  4. There do seem to be lights on in the San Francisco card - but dusk might have been a better descriptor!
    I do like to see 'typical' homes when I am visiting an area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I! Maybe it was summer so it didn't get dark until very late. It would be "night" at 8:00pm or later!

      Delete
  5. When did they start calling the San Francisco houses The Seven Sisters? And how well known was that name? I know I didn't know it until fairly recently. If the postcard maker didn't know it, they'd give it some other title, wouldn't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just these particular houses, and I think it must date to the Full House era. I grew up in the area, and never heard them called that. The Victorians were always Painted Ladies. I think there are better examples than these seven!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts