Motley Monday - January 29, 2024

The rain let up yesterday for a while, so I was able to take a look around the yard.  

I was thrilled to see flowers!  Spring flowers!  

crocus 



flowering quince 

the tiniest black-eyed Susan


the first non-ragged calendula

Yes, these are weeds, but beautiful ones,  Persian speedwell.  They grow in the grass in the far back part of the yard.  Where it doesn't get mowed much.  They don't seem to mind the wetness back there right now.


Right on time are the wild violets.


Tete-a-Tete daffodils and hyacinths are up.  These are not grape hyacinths, I've been pulling those out!  So messy, even if pretty, and they have become quite invasive.



I got a late start on my wintersowing.  No reason but laziness I guess.  I don't have as many as in past years, nothing like in 2019 and 2020 when I sowed more than 100 containers!  There are a few more not shown.  I still need to tape them shut.  Or not.  There are still nights below freezing ahead, even if the next few days will be warm (even in the upper 60s!), so it's not too late to sow more. 


That's my Motley Monday!  Come back tomorrow for a Tuesday Treasures about milk glass.  


Comments

  1. Beautiful! Spring is definitely on its way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it always gets here, but it's nice to know when it's not far off.

      Delete
  2. Oh how wonderful. Spring is right around the corner and I'm thrilled about that.

    I linked this post to Awww Mondays.

    Have a fabulous day and week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel like it's been a long winter, and February isn't even started. There's been snow in February before.

      Delete
  3. Some years are harder than others. I bet in a couple years you'll do a big wintersowing and you'll look back on these lean years as how things have changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't think I'll do a winter sowing that big again!

      Delete
  4. Oh, to see crocuses in January. Or, really, anything flowery, although I saw some dandelion flowers the other day (before we got snow yesterday that re-covered the ground after it melted) and my white Lenten Rose's blooms have opened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only feels like they're early, they are really only about a week sooner than last year. A few years ago Feb. had snow and they peeked up so pretty!

      Delete
  5. ...absolutely NOTHING is poking out of the ground here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring flowers--yay! Thanks so much for sharing them, and thanks for the hopefulness. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts