Wordy Wednesday - January 10, 2024

 I say it every year around now, how I love the bird's nest fungus!  So, here are some new photos.


Same ones, side view!  


These little ones are pixie cup lichen.  


They look like a miniature undersea scene.  I only have these in one spot in the herb garden, on two pumice rocks.

            

Also fond of growing on pumice is Ceratodon purpureus, or fire moss, purple forkmoss, redshank, or what I just call "moss."  

There's a tree frog under the deck.  While the vernal pond (in this case, a nicer way to describe a seasonal puddle) is no more due to duplexes, the street beyond my block still has ditches along one side.  So, plenty of wet.  Plus, it's been raining and my own far backyard has puddles.  


Last is something I found amusing.  I bought a bag of flour, and either I don't pay much attention, or this is a new message on the bag.  It's repeated several times so you just have no excuse for eating flour.


Who eats raw flour out of the bag?



As Homer said in regards to something else, "See?  Because of me, now they have a warning."  


Comments

  1. Nature is amazing and beautiful.

    I've never eaten flour. Goodness.

    Have a fabulous Wordy Wednesday and rest of the week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't image eating it! Dry, messy, clouds of flour dust...

      Delete
  2. Interesting fungus. Eating flour raw? Well, I wouldn't put it past some people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know there are people who eat raw cake/cookie batter, or "lick the bowl" (after all, that was the inspiration for cookie dough ice cream) - maybe those warnings are to discourage that kind of eating raw flour? On another note, those birds nest fungi are fascinating. I've read they are found in rich soil - for whatever reason I have never seen them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the cookie dough warning was for the raw egg? At any rate, one of my favorite things is chocolate chip cookie dough, home made and raw.

      Delete
  4. They are fascinating, for sure! So many amazing things--large and small--in the garden!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts