Tuesday Treasures - January 16, 2024

 It was a great day at the Goodwill Bins for saving artwork!  I rescued five paintings.  Below are the four I kept, the other went to St. Vincent de Paul.

This has been added to my "portrait wall."  I assume it's Honest Abe, however all I see is Anthony Newley.   You?  


This little vintage oil is by Mary Fernandes.  At age 55 she took a free community college art class, and when her friends started buying her paintings, she began traveling to art shows around California to support herself and her disabled husband.  The frame is original to the painting, and I believe at least some of her works were sold framed, as I have seen a few for sale online in this same plastic frame.  The "velvet" matting has worn bare.  This one has a $30 price on the back, a considerable price for art show paintings in the late '60s - '70s. 


By Michael Szember is this little still life now hanging with another Bins still life in my kitchen.  

  
Then, this amazing (and a big 3' x 2') abstract cityscape by Lydia Dodson from 1980.  I believe she is a former  southern CA resident who now lives in my area.   The photos of the details show the bright colors best.  Look closely and see all that's going on.  There's a church, with steps.  Curved streets.  Apartments and skyscrapers with the lights on.  It took a little Artwork Tetris to make room for this one on the bedroom wall.



A great Bins day!

I'll add a bonus painting, also from the Bins a few weeks later.

Signed "REID" it's another abstract cityscape. Yes, you see a tear, but it's no big deal. 

My favorite parts are the barred windows, and the shadows the window ledges form.


I wish there was a specific artwork day for the Bins!  I have to just hit and miss.  

Comments

  1. I like the abstracts. Something about the shapes. Good finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have many abstracts, now I keep running across them!

      Delete
  2. I like them all. What finds. Wow.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very successful that one day! Sometimes I "rescue" them and give them to St. Vincent de Paul, since my store keeps artwork (and most everything) forever. Not nearly the amount of donations to deal with as Goodwill has.

      Delete
  3. I'm not big into abstract art, but the Mary Fernandes piece caught my eye. I looked online and a number of her paintings have been auctioned off in the past, it seems. One I really liked was of two washer women by a stream. There was also one of flowers that wasn't exactly like the piece you purchased. As for the "Anthony Newley" yes there is a resemblance to the young actor. Maybe more so than to the pre-Civil War Mr. Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts