Thursday Thirteen - January 11, 2024

Thursday Thirteen

My favorite books read in 2023, based on Goodreads reviews.  Coincidentally, I gave thirteen books the full five stars!  These are listed in no particular order as to favorite, just how I picked up the information on Goodreads. 


1 - Help the Poor Struggler

Martha Grimes


2 - Tell the Wolves I'm Home

Carol Rifka Brunt


3 - The Family Next Door: A Novel

Sally Hepworth


4 - Jessica Niemi #1

The Witch Hunter

Max Seeck


5 - Bill Hodges Trilogy #2

Finders Keepers

Stephen King


6 - Two Little Girls in Blue

Mary Higgins Clark


7 - Richard Jury #3

The Anodyne Necklace

Martha Grimes


8 - Nero Wolfe #16

Three Doors to Death

Rex Stout


9 - The Silent Patient

Alex Michaelides


10 - Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #17

The Madness of Crowds

Louise Penny


11 - Hairpin Bridge

Taylor Adams


12 - The Couple Next Door

Shari Lapena


13 - The Unexpected Guest: A Play In Two Acts

Agatha Christie

🕮   ðŸ•®   ðŸ•®   ðŸ•®   ðŸ•®   ðŸ•®   ðŸ•®   ðŸ•®

My favorite of all was The Witch Hunter.  It was my pick for finishing the library's Summer Reading Program.  I forgot my reading glasses, so couldn't read the blurb well.  I could make out there was a mystery, and that's my favorite genre, so got it.   When I got home and read more I was concerned I picked poorly.  It also mentioned witchcraft, and I was expecting something with occult elements, which I don't care for.  There weren't, and it was the best book I read in 2023.  Part of that may need to be credited to the translator; it was originally written in Finnish.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home was also a surprise favorite.  The back cover states it was an O Magazine pick (never liked those), and a favorite read of Gillian Flynn (a hit or miss author for me.  Liked Dark Places quite a bit, despised her well received Girl on the Train.)  I'll admit to being too picky about nitpicking in book reviews!  In Tell the Wolves I'm Home I found zero things to criticize!   It's too bad her other books are historical fiction, rare for me to enjoy reading those. 

One last thing, other than The Witch Hunter, all the books were found in the Goodwill Bins for 25¢ each!   Some were brand new hardcovers.




Comments

  1. I read all of Mary Higgins Clark back in the day. I don't think I read the one you read last year, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read quite a few. Sometimes I start them and realize I've read them already (often the case with Agatha Christie since she wrote so many!), but if I forget "who dun it" I will reread them. This was totally new to me. My library isn't the best, so a lot of titles aren't carried. They buy suggested titles, and I've never had them refuse, but I haven't been going there lately. My closest one is small, and the main branch is uncomfortable to get into due to homeless in the parking lot, camping on the paths and by the door.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reviews. I haven't read any of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't seek those titles out, just found them for 25¢! As long as they are mysteries or something similar, I give them a chance. Unless by an author I don't care for...

      Delete
  3. I've not read any of those books except the Louise Penny one. I love her Gamache series. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I enjoy that series, for the most part. A few are much better than others, to be expected with any series.

      Delete
  4. I mainly get my books from libraries nowadays, using guides like the Book Page magazine our libraries give away each month. I haven't read any of these. Our preferred genres are way apart, I suspect. But I say, whatever genre a person likes is fine, as long as they read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I look at the Book Page, and if any book looks good I ask the library to order it. Most of the new releases in Book Page either aren't ordered yet, or only ebook versions.

      Delete
  5. Wow, 25 cents! I tend to skip over books that are a celebrity’s picks. I probably lose out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually do too. But, for the price I thought I'd try.

      Delete
  6. I love LOVE Nero Wolfe! (Or, more accurately, Archie Goodwin.) Thanks for reminding me. I didn't visit the brownstone once in 2023 and I should rectify that this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun! Good mysteries too. As with any older novel, there are a few inappropriate for these days comments. So do Christie's.

      Delete
  7. haven't read any of these but will be adding a few to my poor groaning tbr.. though i have a few other books by Agatha Christie
    My post is here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many Christie's I can reread and not remember the endings!

      Delete
  8. I read a book highly recommended by Oprah. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. The ending was so horrible it made me want to go and stare at the wall and cry. Just awful. Never again. I think there is something wrong with people who write things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of that, but just looked it up. Dogs. So, I might have tried too. Thanks for the warning.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts