Sunday Stamps - May 12, 2023

 Sunday Stamps

Women

Four women of note.  

1976 South Africa

Emily Hobhouse was a British humanitarian who was regarded as "The Angel of Love" by South African Boer women.  She was a outspoken critic of British policy in South Africa. 


1963 US featuring the American aviation pioneer Amelia Earhart.  She disappeared in 1937  attempting to become the first woman pilot to circumnavigate the globe, and was declared dead in 1939.  She is still the subject of much speculation and conspiracy.


Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States from 1933-1945, on a 1963 US stamp.  Yes, twelve years!  She was the longest serving First Lady in US history.  She is remembered not only as the wife of a US president, but as a powerful woman in her own right.   She had a leading role in drafting the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights. 


US 1971 
Emily Dickinson is considered one of the important poets in US history, although she was little known during her life.   Only ten poems and one letter where published during her lifetime, and they were edited to "fit" the conventions of the time, and published under a pen name.  Her sister found her unpublished works after Emily's death.   I am not a particular fan of her poetry, however I did enjoy reading through this book, as her garden was much of her inspiration!
 

Emily Dickinson's Gardening Life: The Plants and Places That Inspired the Iconic Poet, by Marta McDowell


So, what's up for next week? Royalty! 

Comments

  1. I'd never heard of the Angel of Love before, I'm off to read a little bit more about her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either, until I had the stamp! She came from a family of social activists. Quite progressive as a woman in her time. Wikipedia tells a lot more of her background.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful stamps. Wonderful women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great collection today. Thanks for sharing the Hobhouse stamp - an impressive woman to take a strong stand against a government at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also not a big fan of Emily Dickinson poems - but also didn't notice how few of them she wrote! I'm currently reading two books on the women behind the Roosevelt presidents and both are excellent reads!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually like many of Dickinson's poems - they really make you think. Thanks for sharing these stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strong collection of women. I only hadn't heard of the first one you listed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice stamps today. The first one is new to me.
    As many here, I have heard by Dickinson, but I really don't know her poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some ground breaking women. Must admit the wry opening line of Dickinson "Because I could not stop for death, he kindly stopped for me" have lodged in my brain for years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts