Tuesday Treasures - May 7, 2024

 This Tuesday Treasures could well be subtitled, "In Which My Son Does Really Well."  Because he does!  Part of that is due to me, I found him one item at an estate sale and another in the Goodwill Outlet bins. 

This was from the estate sale. 1950s

From the Goodwill Bins.  1950s movie camera.  It is just missing the screw-on handle/crank thing on the side.  It was probably in the bottom of the bin.

I added to his typewriter collection by bringing this one home from the Bins.  It's his first non-portable, and boy, was I surprised how heavy it was when I lifted it out of the bin!  Fortunately heavy items are not sold by weight.  The cashiers used to decide a price, then for a few weeks management had to come out and tell them a price.  Now, it's back to the cashiers.  Keeps things moving that way!  This was $5.  He's been cleaning it up, oiling parts, etc.  It works.  It's valuable.  But, as my mother used to say, "Not worth so much I could retire." 

Olympia (his first Olympia) made in Germany.  c1956


It even has a fancy plate!


From St. Vincent de Paul is this Japanese antique, or near to antique, inlaid wooden card box.  Not just a card box, a puzzle box!  


Pieces have slide down or over to get other parts to open. 




I actually gasped when he showed me the bottom!  I expected it to be just plain wood! 


They had this in their locked case, but only asked $4.  My son started a new policy when buying an item with a price sticker right on it.  "I'll buy this if the sticker doesn't pull off any of the paint/finish/plastic."   I actually used that at the checkout at Goodwill (upcoming post) when an antique oil painting had the price sticker directly on the painting!  It took much too long for one of us to think of that!  Maybe it will get them to stop putting stickers on paintings, or permanent marker prices on the bottom of plastic and rubber collectible items (the marker is a St. Vincent de Paul thing).  I say, a price on the bottom or back gets the customer to pick the item up to see the price.  Once they are holding the item, they see it closer, and may be more interested!  No excuse for stickers directly on paintings.  Or prints... 

Not my son's, but an example of the careless price stickering. 

 Fortunately this 1941 print was found in the Goodwill Bins, so it wasn't a great loss, and the print was damaged (although they do sell for $25+). I was left with a very nice 1930s - 1940s frame!


A week from this Saturday is the nearby city's City Wide Yard Sale day!  I've been putting my change into Skippy, a 1990 Skippy peanut butter "Special Edition" jar.  Skippy has always been a change keeper, after his peanut butter was gone of course.  I don't get as much change as in the past though; I don't use cash often.


Hope to see you next Tuesday. 

Comments

  1. Ouch, that sticker! Love the box, how wonderful. Those typewriters are heavy, I remember the one we used at home. Skippy is cute, I can only imagine all the crevices that the peanut butter got stuck in with that shape. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember the peanut butter, but I get irritated now by oddly shaped jars of jam, so it must have been bad! You can't use a spatula to scrape out the last bit anymore.

      Delete
  2. That typewriter is a great find. You'd think someone would consider that putting price tags on paintings would be bad. Apparently not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cameras! My son would love the still camera (top picture, I'm assuming) maybe I should send him to our local Goodwill. The movie camera might intrigue him, also, although I never even used one. I'm loving the typewriter. I am old enough to have owned a Royal typewriter, which also weighed a ton. Manual, of course, like yours. One of my aunts gave me mine when she decided I needed it more than her. I must have written zillions of term papers on it. I can't remember what happened to it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts