Tuesday Treasures - May 14, 2024

 I alluded to some treasures from the less-often visited Goodwill a few weeks ago.  

If you are a regular reader of Tuesday Treasures you'll remember the holy, or prayer, cards I got from St. Vincent de Paul.  I mentioned then how I am not religious, but enjoy the art, especially the tiny lithographs on the cards.

Not holy cards.  Well, there were three in this group of 61 other cards, but it's the cards I want to share first.  It's a long post, with lots of photos, so feel free to scroll quickly and just look at some photos, or skip it all together!  I'll never know...

I am not sure what they were used for.  Daily scripture lessons, or given out for a job well done perhaps.  

These were published by the Swedish Sunday School Society of Chicago in 1908 and 1911.  The church is now named First Free Church.   Most of the text is in Swedish, and they are called Illustrated Text Cards.  Each has a date, a lithographed illustration from a bible scene, and scripture on the front.  On the back there is more information and questions for "homework."  

For example



Translation (thanks Google, although you failed to translate "in the lion's den"!)  

Notice the subscription price!  

ILLUSTRATED TEXT CARDS.

Homework 13. Sept. 24, 1911. Vol. 6. No. 3. Part 13.

Daniel i lejongropen.

And. 6: 10-23.

Language of thought: Lord The angel of the Lord pitches his camp

around those who fear him, and deliver

them. PS 34: 8. 1. What is the probable time for this lesson?

2. What changes had taken place in Babel se-

dan time for homework 12? 3. What power and what man ruled

now? 4. How had Daniel fared during all these changes?

5. What place did he hold with Darius?

6. What enemies did he have and why were they his enemies?

7. In what field alone could they hope

to find a weak point in Daniel's character?

8. Which edict was signed by the king?

Issued quarterly. Price per year 10 cents. Per quarter 2% cents. SWEDISH SUNDAY SCHOOL SOCIETY, 714 S. Dearborn St., Chicago, III.

SOCIETY, 714 S. Dearborn St., Chicago, Ill.

at the Post Office at Chicago, Ill., under Act

of March 3, 1879.

Here are a few of my favorite, and or, prettiest cards.  Just a few, as there are 61, with only a few repeats.  

A scene many of us recognize, the "Last Supper." 5-3-1908

Judas betraying Jesus with a kiss.  5-17-1908 

The ark of the covenant is being brought to Jerusalem.  I know in this Bible story the ark started to fall, and the man who reached out to steady it was struck dead for touching it.  So, letting it fall to the ground and get dirty and possibly broken was better?  And how would then have picked it back up?  I never quite figured this one out. 10-4-1908


I like these next two for the horses!  I prefer dogs, but the ancient Israelites considered dogs as unclean, and only working dogs, such as owned by shepherds were around. 

The return home after Cyrus freed them.  10-15-1911


Nehemiah overseeing the building of Jerusalem's walls.  12-3-1911



December 24, 1911 is my last date.  The homework here was to answer questions about Malachi's reproving and encouraging Judah, and to whose coming Malachi pointed.   


My favorite holy card of the three is this antique one illustrating the imperiling storm, as Jesus sleeps.  His apostles, in fear, wake him, and he calms the sea.  I like how the halo, or nimbus, is punched out with the holes filled with silver color.

 

The packet of cards was in a plastic baggie, which I opened to examine.  I could tell they were old, but not now old.  They cost under $5.  It was just mixed in with the stationary, which shows you need to look through everything to find the treasures!

If you aren't bored yet, I have some closer photos of details!  I love old color lithographs and their tiny dots of color. 


Are they calling for help, or cheering the lions on?





So, there you have my exciting thrift! 


Comments

  1. I did not know things like that existed. You did make quite the find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these holy cards! I have so many...I should photograph them and post them too...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts