Thursday Postcard Hunt - Bridges Long and Bridges Curvy

 Thursday Postcard Hunt

Long and/or Curvy Bridges 

First, two long bridges.

Sunshine Skyway Bridge, Florida 

In 1954 this was one of the longest continuous bridges in the world.  After several major disasters it was replaced with a safer span.

The Benjamin Franklin Bridge connects Philadelphia, PA and Camden, NJ.  Between 1926 and 1929 it was the longest suspension span in the world. 


On to the curvy. 

Curved at the bottom. 

Depoe Bay Bridge on the Oregon coast spans the outlet of Depoe Bay.  It has one long arch and three arched girders.  The original bridge, 18' wide, was completed in 1927.  In 1940 another was build just adjacent to it, a more reasonable 48' wide.  Another bridge on the National Register of Historic Places. 


Curved at the top.

Marquette-Joliet Bridge crosses the Mississippi River, connecting Marquette, Iowa and Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.  Locals call it either the Prairie Bridge, or the Marquette Bridge. 


All curve!

Drum Bridge in the Japanese Tea Garden, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA.  
It was created for the Japanese Village exhibit of the 1894 California Midsummer International Exposition.  The designer and builder, Shinshichi Nakatani, built the bridge in Japan, dismantled it, and brought it to S.F.  Halfway through reassembly though, the Expo ran out of money.  Nakatani returned to Japan, sold off land holdings, came back and paid for the rest himself.   After the Expo, it, along with a gate, were donated to the City of San Francisco.  


The back of the Drum Bridge postcard inaccurately calls it the Moon Bridge.  This is because historically the shape of these bridges reflect a full circle, a full moon.  The steepness forces one to slow down, be in the right frame of mind for a tea ceremony.  Also, the shape would allow boats to pass underneath, not something needed here!

I live in Oregon now, however I lived in the S.F. Bay Area until 2011.  I visited the Japanese Tea Garden as a child, and with my children, multiple times.  

Here I am, the shorter one (the boys weren't with me), on the Drum Bridge.


Years later, here I am with my oldest (this time the man wasn't with me). 


Easier to go up than down!


Made it!


Visitors can still climb this iconic bridge.  The Japanese Tea Garden charges admission (tickets sold in advance) now, although there are exceptions for certain groups that allow free admission.

Next week continues Bridges with Iron and/or Rail.

Comments

  1. How nice is that Japanese bridge! I enjoyed your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I'd be in the right frame of mind for any ceremony after climbing one of those Japanese bridges! I could just as easily slow down and meditate on the view without my legs shaking from the exertion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge several times, both the version that collapsed in 1980 and the bridge that replaced it. I could handle that bridge. The Drum Bridge, I don't know if I would have tried to go up it because then I'd need to come down. It does look so pretty, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an interesting bridge. One I could never go across, though. That's way too steep for me to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You would need to be a ninja to cross the Drum Bridge easily, thanks for sharing your photos which brings a whole new perspective to the card.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts