Tuesday Treasures - September 24, 2024

 Remember how excited I was to find a one-piece salt and shaker in the Goodwill Bins?  

Well, St. Vincent de Paul had the same one (which I didn't get) and this one (which I did get)!  It's a souvenir of Hollywood, Calif.  Still has it's cork stoppers. 


I also picked up this little brown Scottie dog the same day.  It has a loop so it either had attached puppies, or is an unattached puppy.  


After that big postcard haul from there every time I go in I get another packet two.   Most packets have four postcards for $1.  I can see two of them, but the middles are a surprise!  I've gotten quite a few antique undivided back ones, and some from Germany, Canada, Monte Carlo, Spain, and Italy.  Of course, there are often ones for 5¢ as well!  

The Empress Hotel in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada postmark 1921


Mission San Gabriel bell c1910


This one is interesting.  It looks like a divided back, however the area on the left is for a return address only. 


For 5¢ each I got a bunch of 1960s 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" Disney.  I got the duplicates, my son kept the singles.   I love that crabby pig, who is named Practical Pig (1933 Disney short animation The Three Little Pigs) .  He's had to work hard to make up for Fiddler and Fifer's lackadaisical attitudes! 


There was another city-wide yard sale this past weekend.  I'm working on those photos and research. That post will be next Tuesday, and Wednesday it turns out.  It is extremely heavy on the artwork.  Extremely heavy... 

Comments

  1. It must be so much fun to go through all the postcards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I plan on organizing more on some cold rainy winter day!

      Delete
  2. The postcards are so interesting! Are they always unused? Fascinating to see. I really love your tiger-lily header.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! Some are used, and the old ones can have the most wonderful messages! My favorite is here... https://lisasgardenadventureinoregon.blogspot.com/2024/08/postcards-galore-part-i.html

      Delete
    2. The flower in the header is just a plain ol' ditch lily, or orange daylily!

      Delete
  3. A friend was on a cruise in May and they had to change a stop. The substitute stop was Victoria and she texted me a picture of the Empress Hotel while she was there. It's still going and it's still beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a photo (a terrible one I took as a child, overexposed with white spots on it!) of the Empress Hotel. I took it because there was a horse-drawn carriage in front for tourists.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts