Thursday Postcard Hunt - Wooden, Covered, or Swinging

 Thursday Postcard Hunt

For this last week of the Bridges theme we have Wooden, Covered, and/or Swinging.

Covered bridges are historically wooden as well, so there's two out of the three theme types in one!

Many people are surprised to learn that Oregon is the state with the most covered bridges west of the Mississippi.

Currin Covered Bridge, Cottage Grove, Oregon, is the only dual-colored bridge in Oregon.  Not much of a claim, but Cottage Grove claims it!  Built in 1925 to replace an earlier bridge, it was named for an early pioneer family. Cottage Grove is the "Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon," with six in or around the city.  They have a Covered Bridge Tour Route (motor vehicles) and a Covered Bridge Scenic Bikeway, and in years past had an annual Covered Bridge Festival.  If you know seed companies, you may know that Territorial Seed is located in Cottage Grove. To me, it's one of those places you pass by on the Interstate! 


Dreibelbis Station Bridge, PA was built in 1869, has a painted hex sign.  It's on the National Register of Historic Places. 


McConnell's Mills Covered Bridge spans Slippery Rock Creek in Slippery Rock Township, PA.  It was built in 1874.  It too is on the National Registry of Historic Places. 

Ramp Creek Covered Bridge in Brown County State Park, Indiana was originally built in 1838.  It was disassembled and relocated in 1932 due to road construction threatening its destruction.  Yes, it's on the National Registry of Historic Places!


Enough of the covered and wooden bridges.  On to the swingers.

Capilano Suspension Bridge, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada 


I used to love swinging suspension bridges when I was a child!  Never one this high though.  I wouldn't set foot on one anymore!

Comments

  1. wow...so many beautiful covered bridges. The suspension bridge is ...too high :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found an interesting postcard blog, I thought I'd share with you all. https://myhipstory.com/2024/09/25/he-was-here-last-eve-capturing-girlhood-and-family-bonds-in-a-1909-postcard/. Marina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it does look interesting and worth visiting.

      Delete
  3. I've always thought of covered bridges as an eastern thing (maybe because I live in the east) so this news about Oregon is a pleasant surprise. One more reason to visit! I have walked across the Capilano Bridge - and was terrified! So determined was I to conquer my fear of heights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people do think they are eastern things. I saw one in CA when I lived there, Knight's Ferry.

      Delete
  4. Wow that is a lot of covered bridges and I am glad to see the Dr Pierce only makes pleasant pellets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love old ads, how the products are always the best, the biggest, and the most pleasant!

      Delete
  5. I *hated* swinging bridges. Still do. It's a height thing as well as a sensory thing. I just saw a NOVA about covered bridges. I didn't realize that the cover makes them last longer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course a dual-cloured bridge is far better than a monochromatic one!

    I don't think I would cross that swinging one. Not for all the tea in China!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...well Liza, I love bridges, covered bridges, old signs and barns. You covered all of the bases.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts