Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - August 2023

 Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day

My garden is miserable.  It's been hot.  I'm talking 110° hot.  I didn't make myself feel any better about it looking at past August GBBD posts.   

The front yard is the most colorful, even if it gets the scorching afternoon sun. 

blanketflower, Red Riding Hood penstemon (it pays to cut back the first blooms), glove amaranth with a small blazing star (most are done), delosperma


California poppies (second or third generation), Phenomenal lavender (almost done, but the pollinators are still covering it), Blue Jeans Baby Russian sage (hiding in the Persian catmint so I forgot about it)


Looking so dry...  I haven't cut back the yarrow or the bearded iris yet.


The Persian catmint was cut back and now is in full bloom again.  So is the lance-leaf coreopsis, which started off the bloom season 


Strawberry mint is going crazy in the front and back yards.  It doesn't mind full sun.  The tiny pollinators, like hoverflies, like this one.


A few daylilies are still blooming, another few are just getting started.

Ruffled Apricot, May May, Grape Magic 


Another mint that doesn't care if it's hot and sunny is Woolly Apple mint.  The little ones like this too.  Makes sense, the flowers are tiny.


Lastly, the backyard...

Black-eyed Susan, Angel Shasta daisy, blanketflower, cosmos


four o'clocks, borage, butterfly weed, dianthus Rainbow Loveliness 


narrow-leaf milkweed


ruffled gladiola


Turkish sage and Black-eyed Susan seed heads are still attractive.



Comments

  1. The mints are amazing, aren't they? Your garden looks great despite the heat. Lovely daylilies! Mine didn't produce much this summer because of our early summer drought. Hang in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to have blooms that like the direct hot sun. I understand how you're not doing much with them at the moment. Heat is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mints are flowering, too. I love those small flowers but figured I wouldn't photograph mine well. Your pictures were great. Your glads are so, so beautiful and you still have day lilies. Never cut my catmint back, shame on me. We only got to 75 today, overcast with rain on and off, which probably explains your 110 degrees. I used to live in Texas and Kansas, so I know about that heat, and hope next August is a lot better for your area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!
    Love the Gladiolas!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 110F is brutal, Lisa! I'd never have expected Oregon could get hotter than SoCal. We've managed to dodge a serious heatwave both last year and this year (so far, and I'm hoping that you take no offense that I'm knocking wood as I type this). However, the soil in my garden is just as parched. I love the gladiola and I'm impressed that you still have daylily blooms. A belated happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not hotter. But, I'm not in the rainy part of Oregon. I have a Mediterranean climate, or that's what they say. Mild winters and warm summers I think. A few kinds of daylilies are finished, but others started up.

      Delete
  6. Those ruffled gladiolus, swoon! It's pretty amazing how many things not only survive but bloom in such hot and dry conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how delicate the petals on some flowers are, yet they don't wilt or care a bit how hot the sun is.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful blooms you have shared for August Bloom Day. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think the ones left are blooming regardless of whether I tend them or not!

      Delete
  8. Lisa-Your garden is still looking beautiful despite the heat. I especially like the narrow-leaf milkweed and Ruffled gladiola, which continue to shine. Happy Bloom Day and hope you get a break in the temperatures soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts