Motley Monday - August 7, 2023

 Once again, a Monday of random things.  

The leaf-cutter bees are filling the bug house (although bees are not bugs) again.  I missed when last year's emerged.  I love the variety of colors the bees use. They've been cutting out of forsythia and wisteria this year, which is new.  Usually they go for the four o-clocks.  



Yes, wisteria.  I did try to get rid of it.  It wasn't possible to dig out all the roots in January, 2022.  I stuck a big heavy pot of soil on top though, thinking that would do it.  Funny thing to think!  Left is then, right is now.  I didn't want it since the seeds are toxic to dogs.  It is also invasive, and not recommended, which I did not know.  I only knew I loved my grandmother's wisteria, and it was sold at the local nursery.  Shouldn't be. 



The corn poppies and love-in-a-mist are gone, replaced by gladiola and four o/clocks.  Usually there are many, huge four o'clocks, but there are only a few smaller ones this year.  



Brandywine is starting to ripen... at long last.  This is reason enough to have a vegetable garden!  All I have left are the tomatoes, having torn out the rest. 


Here's a close-up of a carpenter bee on narrow-leaf milkweed.


And some dead artichokes I thought looked kind of pretty, in color and mono.




Have a nice week.



Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Yep! They line holes with leaves, then use chewed leaves to plug them after laying an egg and filling them with food for the larvae.

      Delete
  2. The Glads and Four O-Clocks look great, and the Tomatoes look delicious! I have leaf-cutter bee visitors, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts