Tuesday Treasures - August 22, 2023

I found a lovely example of art pottery at Goodwill for under $3.  The photos are terrible, I readily agree.  It is a bright cobalt that does not photograph well, and when I can get the color right there are reflections.  Indoors photos make it look black.


It is a Scheurich Keramik "Fat Lava" vase made in the 1970s in what was then West Germany.  The model (shape) is 208, the size 27 centimeters.  Scheurich Keramik was part of the West German Art Pottery era of 1949 through 1990.  They began production in 1954, and are still in business making garden pots and accessories.  If you're in the UK you may find them at your local garden center.  I picked it up for a closer look because of its color, then noticed the mark.  At under $3 I would have bought it no matter the color!  


"Fat Lava" is the nickname given their famous drip glaze on white clay used in the 1960s - 1970s.  It's a very thick glaze with a stone like texture.



Comments

  1. Can I come down there and go Goodwill Shopping with you? I'm joking about that, but seriously you really have an amazing eye for the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need to be joking! If you ever come down Medford way, we can go thrifting! No joke! I think I'm getting better at recognizing nice stuff, but I make some errors (fortunately not expensive ones), I just don't show most of them!

      Delete
    2. Enjoy reading your Tuesday Treasure posts. Appreciate the detailed background info you provide on your findings. I'm always looking for Russell Wright treasures but I never find them. I will keep up the hunt.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for your kind words. I enjoy finding the things I love, and researching them after I get home may be even more enjoyable. I have not seen any Russel Wright in person. The shapes are nice, smooth and curved. I like the butter dishes and creamers, pitchers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts