Tuesday Treasures - August 1, 2023

 I went to a big (55,000 square feet big) indoor flea market at the fair grounds on Sunday. It was the usual mixed bag of junk and treasures, cheap and overpriced. I stuck to the cheap treasures!  

First things I got were these two cast metal 1960's Vermay, U.S.A. wall decor roosters.  The right one is 12" tall.  I know that one is the right one because it's marked R.  As if I would have hung them with their backs to each other!

The colors are still bright.  Yes, it is still dusty. 


These Victorian couples are painted on the inside of the glass, which is "balloon" glass, or convex.  That lifts the paintings off the backgrounds, giving more of a 3-D effect. Notice they are tourists?  There are other paintings in the series.  I'd love to find those "in the wild," meaning I won't just buy them on eBay.  The glass was so dirty on these, a paper towel with glass cleaner came away black!




A small porcelain poodle.  There were lots of poodles.  Lots of spaghetti poodles, but I resisted.  Maybe they'll be there next time, in September.  What a fancy pup when it had it's gilded legs and half tail.  No, the figurine's tail isn't broken, it's that poodles naturally have long waggy tails.  Don't crop.  It's unnecessary and painful.


I bought this print for $1 to get the 6" x 8" frame.   Another crooked photo!


My favorite table was one with a box of antique and vintage photos and postcards!  I would have bought more, and did pile up more, however the woman said they came to $25.  Too much.  So, I ended up with just four for $4 (I didn't put back $21 worth of stuff, maybe she wanted me to haggle the price down).  

Two antique postcards. 

1916

1915


So, Auntie was too busy sewing her Easter dress to take time to write her niece!  


Two vintage photographs I won't share due to copyright law.  

One is a 5" x 5" photo of a man sitting in a doorway, holding a cigarette in his right hand, with his left on his dog's side.  The dog is the old type of Boston Bull or French bulldog.  Bigger, with a nice healthy long snout.   It has the stamp of Kennell Ellis Studio (started in the 1920s) in Klamath Falls, OR on the back, with a handwritten note "copied by".  The studio operated there in the 1930s and 1940s. However, due to this photo being a reprint, the image may be of an earlier time.  Kennell Ellis Studio had eight Oregon locations, the last closing in the early 2000s as there was no family member to continue its legacy.  Kennell Ellis also hand-painted his own photography. 

The last is a 6 1/2" x 8 1/4" photo of a young child on a pony. One of those posed shots on door-to-door traveling pony photographers.  It's been hand-colored in areas. He looks to be about 2 or 3 years old and does not look happy!  I have another of those pony photos, but it's three generations on ponies framed in one frame. Too precious to have given to a thrift store to be sold (to me) for $1 I think.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts