Tuesday Treasures - August 15, 2023

It's Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, however I can't skip the weekly Tuesday Treasures.

 Going to the Goodwill Outlet, aka The Bins, is a hit or miss thing.  You can't go looking for anything in particular.  In general you'll find clothing, but other than that each day, each bin rotation during the day, is like a grab-bag.  

I mention this because I happened to go on a day when there was a lot artwork.  Artwork and glassware are my favorite things to find there. 

I found a pretty little seascape signed COUV.  9" x 12"  It's getting a new frame.

A vintage* print, copyright Henry B. Sanders Co., Inc., N.Y.C.) after Philippe Alfieri's The Lighthouse.  11" x 19" in vintage frame, looking to be around the '40s - '50s.  Alfieri seems to have painted predominantly clowns.  I find only one other example of The Lighthouse print, and nothing on the original painting.  The other is for sale, and the border around the print is under the frame, as is the top of the lighthouse.  I cleaned the frame, and buffed some crayon into the scuff marks.  Crayons make the best repairs on frames!  Fill the scratches and rub with a paper towel.  Fill large gouges with melted crayon and rub.  Crayons come in most frame colors.  The print is now hanging in my bedroom.

Since this is framed with glass, it only cost 10¢ a pound.

 (There is a border around the entire thing, I didn't include it here to enlarge the print.)

The bottom also is printed "LITHO. IN U.S.A." and "712-10".

Then, two 15" x 30" florals signed Lorena Fish (one in cursive, one in block printing).  No frames, I think they fell out of them in the hubbub that is the Bins.  It was very busy and watching the people tossing the new bins was like watching a piranha on a capybara.  Oh, it's not that bad, not like in some videos I've seen!  


Any glass?  

One.  This Randall Co. white milk glass bud vase.  6"  Randall didn't produce glass, it distributed it.  Again that word "vintage," here it means the 1950s.  White milk glass bud vases are pretty much a dime a dozen (and at 10¢ a pound that's about how much they cost!) in thrift stores, but this one has a unique shape, a beehive base. 

It has the "ring of fire" identifying real milk glass.  This identifies older milk glass, produced before 1960.  Different chemicals were added into the molten glass that creates this, and makes the glass milky and opaque.  Hold white colored glass up to a bright light to check for that color!

It is certainly hit or miss, and I hit it this time!

*hate using the word "vintage" for so many things!  In my mind that should mean no newer than the 1960s, although it can mean only 20 years old.  Really, should we consider something made in 2000 as "vintage"?  I think people use the word to mean, "It's old, but I can't be bothered to figure out how old."   Even then, 20 years old is hardly old.   I try to narrow down dates for my own education.  

 

  

Comments

  1. I guess we need a new term. I mean, vintage had to come from somewhere. I'm sure it was due to people not liking people overusing antique. Some great finds there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good point, so many people throw that word "antique" around to mean old.

      Delete
  2. Jeez -- if something from the 60s is vintage I must be past my pull date for sure. Guess I am antique instead. You really did score beautifully. I'd shop at Goodwill if I were as good at it as you are. Good tips about the crayons and frames. I really love that seascape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can give things from my childhood a pass as far as vintage, but not something from my oldest son's!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts