Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - June 2024

While the bearded iris are gone, the daylilies are just getting started.

Especially the ditch lilies, or plain ol' orange daylilies.

Double Classic 

Longfields Pink (perhaps Think Pink), is similar to Double Classic.

According to my planting map this should be Lullaby Baby.  Colors are right, but the ruffled edges aren't. 
It's Moon Over Monteray.   Don't blame me for the spelling of Monterey, I didn't name the daylily!


A few mosaics...

Moonshine yarrow, calendulas, evening primrose, a ruffly coreopsis

Four kinds of blanketflower.  Top ones are Mesa Red and either Mesa Peach or Arizona Apricot, I get them confused.   Bottom are SpinTop Orange Halo, and possibly Bright Bi-Color.

Munstead lavender and bronze fennel


The Turkish sage flowers aren't yellow anymore, but they are still really pretty.  This photo was taken at sunrise.

Angel Shasta daisy, a dwarf variety.

Some Toss Garden flowers.  Black-eyed Susans, lance-leaf coreopsis, butterfly weed... 

So far Sun Sugar cherry tomato is the only one of three tomatoes with flowers.

In the front yard the Persian catmint is still going strong.  The ones in the backyard have been pruned to ground level and will be back.  Here it is blooming with yarrow, coreopsis, and blanketflower.

Front yard view with Phenomenal lavender.


Covent Gardens baby's breath.  I don't like the fluffy, fussy, florist baby's breath.  Covent Gardens is single petaled and waves in the breeze like blue flax, which is finished for the season.


Summer Berries yarrow, both left hand photos.  Chinese forget-me-not on the right.  


Can you bear three more?  

Soon to be blooming Drumstick allium.  I've wanted these for quite a while, and a friend had extra bulbs.  She says I'll have too many before long! 

Globe artichoke buds.  I couldn't eat them all, and they make such pretty flowers that the pollinators love, so I left them.

Onion chive seed heads are full of ripe seeds. 


Happy Gardening! 

Comments

  1. Beautiful blooms, it's daylily bloom time here in Kentucky too. Your daylilies look gorgeous. Nice sage too. Love seeing all your stunning blooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I posted this I see three more varieties will be open in about an hour! The Turkish sage is stunning, even the plant without flowers. I grew it from seed and waiting three years for the blooms. I leave the seed heads up all winter they are so pretty.

      Delete
  2. Lisa, you have so many beautiful flowers in your garden, it's hard to decide which I like best! I really envy your globe artichokes--I tried growing them here in northwestern Virginia with no luck--mine never bloomed. I'm intrigued by the Turkish sage--do you know the botanical name for this? I'd love to get some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turkish sage is Phlomis russeliana https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlomis_russeliana
      Some people mistakenly call it Jerusalem sage, Phlomis fruticosa, which is in the same family.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlomis_fruticosa
      I grew mine from seed I bought on eBay, from England.

      Delete
  3. Your garden's looking especially bright and beautiful this June, Lisa. We actually have some plants in common this month, like the daylies and the blanket flowers ;) My Shasta daisies are trailing yours but, unlike your Phlomis, mine finished up over a month ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My full size Shasta daisies are just forming buds. Yes, bright and beautiful, and all I see are the dead grasses and weeds!

      Delete
  4. The Turkish Sage at sunrise picture immediately caught my eye - it continues to be beautiful. And, of course, the day lilies. Mine mainly bloom in July but some are getting an early start (and yes, area ditch lilies have been blooming for several days now).Finally, your artichokes are always a delight to my eye, especially since they generally won't grow here. Well, some people do try to grow them as annuals - I haven't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought my artichoke would be an annual, and then thought it would be frost tender. I tried piling the compost up around them, only to have them grow right back up. So, I ignore them in winter and they are fine, never dying back much.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed the visit to your garden. Your collection of Daylilies is especially beautiful and I love the captures of the Artichoke buds and Allium seed heads. Your Shasta Daisy are pretty too! Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are beautiful--all of them! My Daylilies aren't blooming yet, but the Asiatic Lilies are starting. It's a special time of year. Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many flowers this time of year. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...I love your garden, Mine is shady and I have hosta galore, it would be good to have a bit more sun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All beautiful blooms!
    My favorites - the Blanketflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! I've been wanting to fit some yarrow in my garden and I think summer berries could be just what I'm looking for. And that Turkish sage is unique. I'm also admiring your Black-eyed Susans because the deer are keeping mine mowed down unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Summer Berries mixed color flowers, yet find it invasive. I tried to remove one from my front yard and it pops up from the underground runners.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts