Thursday Postcard Hunt - Sunrise/Sunset AND a belated Sunday Stamps - Movement


I was unexpectedly out of town, so missed posting my Sunday Stamps, theme of Movement, so here it is now.  I went a different direction than I originally planned. 

Both from the U.S. 

1998 Women's Rights Movement 

This was part of a series Celebrate the Century.  There were ten sheets, 15 stamps each sheet, with each sheet depicting events from one decade 1900s - 1990s, this event from the 1970s.  Information on the stamps' significance is on the backs.


Another women's rights movement, this one for the right to vote.  

1970 Woman Suffrage 50th Anniversary - anniversary of the 19th amendment, which guaranteed a woman the right to vote.  The image on the left is part of a demonstration pre-amendment (note one man participating, as the driver), the right shows a woman voting on a lever-operated voting machine.  

Thursday Postcard Hunt

June's theme is Time.

This week is Sunrise/Sunset.

Two sunsets on the California coast. 

Huntington Beach is in Southern California. 


Morrow Bay is a city, and bay, on the central coast.  

Morro means "rock" in Spanish.  Morro Rock (a redundancy) is a volcanic plug in the bay, at the entrance to the harbor.  It used to be an island, however it was quarried between 1889 and 1969 for a breakwater and improvements to a nearby harbor. It's now an historical landmark.

This undated real photo postcard of Morro Rock belonged to my grandmother.  It has an undivided back on which my mother wrote Morro Bay in pen. 

Next week is Seasonal. 



Comments

  1. I love your take on the movement topic, indeed!
    The postcards are also very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had too many sports and exercise to choose from, and suddenly thought of "a movement."

      Delete
  2. Awesome movement stamps. I love the seagulls postcard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, I like deckled edges even if they picture isn't a nice as this!

      Delete
  3. I like stamps with a message on the back. That is a super long pier, perfect for a nice saunter into the sunset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The message is not often read by the mail recipient I'd guess.

      Delete
  4. I never thought of this take on movement! I am intrigued by the lever voting machine. "Howdy" from those gulls was a bit of a surprise :). That rock looks like it should be sacred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is considered sacred by the Salinan and Chumash tribes! The two tribes actually argue over it, each stating it's their territory. One problem between them is the Salinan people have the right to climb it for solstice ceremonies, and the Chumash say it's too holy to climb. The general public aren't allowed to, just the Salinan bi-annually.

      Delete
  5. I hope your unexpected trip was a good one. I am very familiar with that pier in Huntington Beach. Been on it many times. (My dad lives nearby.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts