Tuesday Treasures - June 11, 2024

 An assortment of items thrifted items from various sources. 

This is a linden wood toy, hand-carved in Russia.  They will be rarer soon, as the importer won't be getting more for quite a few years.  I assume due to current conditions over there.  I got this in the Goodwill Bins.  The string wasn't even tangled! 


Move it in a circular motion and the rabbit rows the boat. 


Also from the Bins is this watercolor.  I could say "Asian inspired," or "Asian style," however, it was probably bought as a souvenir in Japan or China.  An online search brings up both options, however the first character in the red block is Japanese.


You can't really tell from this, but the yellow parts glint in certain angles.   It's another thing that amazingly survived completely intact and unbent, while unframed, in the Bins.  It is painted on heavy paper, or thin cardboard.


Last fall I got this 19" pottery pear in the Bins. 10¢lb!  I finally got some spray paint (3 cans in a bag for $2, Bins).  I had a choice of yellow, purple, or a bright pink called "Watermelon."  I'd rather something brighter, but not purple or watermelon.



You may know what this is, but it took me a bit of research to understand it!    Free garage sale leftover on a curb find.  I thought it was a frame of some sort, as it had a hanger on the back.  It looks like a small wooden toilet seat! 




It's a hat brim block!  

Lundstrom Hat Company, San Francisco, was established in 1884, and was known for making the stylish hats of the time!  They used felt, fur, and straw, with felt being the most popular.  Dampened felt or straw was compressed into the desired shapes using the wooden blocks.

I wonder why they painted it? 


It has peg holes where it would have been attached to a crown block.
And lots of numbers I don't understand.  Head measurements I'd assume.  


Wooden hat blocks are still used, new ones available for purchase (some companies have a "beginner's kit" with all a hat maker needs to learn the art!), and vintage ones are quite valuable.  

Comments

  1. I love the Russian wooden carving, and it moves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! It's adorable! There is a seller on eBay who has photos of family (not sure if the sellers' family, but the people in the photos are family) members carving these toys.

      Delete
  2. The hat block makes sense. You block knits, too, after finishing them. Wet them and stretch them to the proper dimensions. It makes them flat and makes the stitches pop out better. So, felt hats... I completely understand how the hat block would work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about how hats are made! Makes sense.

      Delete
  3. I love that little wooden toy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts