Tuesday Treasures - June 4, 2024

I find the most unusual things in thrift stores!  These are Nigerian thorn wood carvings.  I paid $3.14. 


Made by the Yoruba people since the 1930s, they are folk art, and often considered "tourist art."  The figures depict the everyday life of the Yoruba people.  Thorns of the egungun or ata trees (I can't find much about them) can grow to 5" long, in cream, rose, or brown, and are easily carved.  They are always about 3" high.

These are an odd mix of figures, in my opinion.  

There is a preacher standing behind a pulpit, under a palm tree.  



Of the other five figures, only one is identifiable to me.

An angel. When I saw these in a bag, and noticed the angel, I thought it might have been a nativity, but no.  So far, a preacher and an angel.  


The other figures.  A few are missing hands.  One is holding a tool of some sort.  All but the preacher wear hats, all different styles.


This one, missing his feet, is holding something in one hand. 



The week before I found a bag of amazing  painted papier-mâché nativity.  So, now I look for bags on bottom shelves!  I'll be sharing the nativity before December.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts