Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - August 2024

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day for August 2024 

This August's blooms are pretty much the same as last year's blooms.  That is, few and dying back for the most part.

Black-eyed Susans

Lance-leaf coreopsis is blooming because I cut it back once already. 

The big bloomers right now are the blanketflowers.   Mesa Red, Mesa Yellow, regular ones.  

Morning Glory, Summer Berries yarrow (second bloom) and wisteria (a few second volunteer blooms).  Now, this photo makes it looks like I have a lovely colorful, flowerful garden.  Nope.  You don't see the surrounding beds!

Sunsparkler "Dazzleberry" sedum is just beginning to flower. 


Four O'clocks, gladiolas, a few second blooms on the hardy geranium.


Blue Jeans Baby Russian sage is too small for the spot I planted it.   Here it is with some old yarrow and one Grape Magic daylily.   It's one of the only ones left.  


Woolly Apple Mint loves it in the Toss Garden.   The dark-stemmed orange mint under it is just starting to bud.  It's the tiny pollinators that love the mint.


Some of the narrow-leaf milkweed has already gone to seed, but other is still going strong.  

Vegetables are SO behind!  

Lemon cucumber, Galeux d'Eysines winter squash, Sun Sugar cherry tomato

Squash blossoms are so pretty.  They rival daylilies with the ruffly flowers. 



Have a nice Bloom Day! 

Comments

  1. That peach glad is beautiful. I love glads and my neighbor had a nice display. It's all over now. I'm happy to see that you have survivors from your less than ideal summer. We've had terrible squash bugs this year. Going to our community garden soon to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped planting squash and relatives for a few years after I had a terrible squash bug year! They are nasty things.

      Delete
  2. Your Gaillardias look great, Lisa! The vast majority of mine have fried, probably because I haven't provided any extra water to supplement that provided by our spotty 2x weekly automated irrigation system. However, I mysteriously had a squash flower pop up in one of the raised planters in my cutting garden! I haven't grown vegetables in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're happy, but I have been watering a lot. Fortunately the water's cheap here.

      Delete
  3. Isn't that they way of life, though? We cut out what we don't want others to see, either in the frame of a photo or the parts of the story we leave out in the retelling. That doesn't make the flowers any less pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous flowers--I wish we could se wider shots to get an idea of the areas where these are. Fascinating that you're growing Galeux d'Eysines--the peanut pumpkin, as some call it. I grew this a couple of summers ago so that I could do a painting of the pumpkin with its flowers, which are so attractive. I hope you'll have a successful crop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many pretty blooms! And I hope you make something yummy with the squash blooms! They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts