Thursday Postcard Hunt - Public Art/Murals

 Thursday Postcard Hunt

Public Art and Murals

Hotel la MisiĆ³n, Taxco, Mexico

The mural, by Juan O'Gorman, is dedicated to the last Aztec emperor, CuauhtĆ©moc.

1939-1940 World's Fair in Flushing Meadows, N.Y. 

Mural on Foods Bldg. N.Y.W.F. 

There were thirteen buildings in the Food Zone, this being Food Building No. 2.  The mural was done by Pierre Bourdelle, and called "Food."  I was sidetracked for ages reading about the wonders of the food buildings! 

https://ny.eater.com/2012/6/19/6581073/a-food-tour-of-the-1939-worlds-fair


This is my second postcard posted from that fair.  The other was for the theme Fountains.  I think my youngest son is now a postcard collector!  He wanted my world's fair cards, and the ones from Hollywood.  He also has a few Disney, and a transparency Santa.  Yes, he's a postcard convert! I have photos of his, so if the theme fits I'll still be able to use them.

Next week: Sculptures 

Comments

  1. Interesting postcards. And thanks for the link as well. So, I can have an idea of the second mural in full colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, murals aren't meant to be seen in black and white!

      Delete
  2. I collect hotels and World's Fair postcards, but have never seen these. I wish I could go back in time to see the 1939 one, but thanks to your link I've had an interesting read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 1939 postcards are amazing! The link was fun, I loved that Wonder Bread building. I see photos of not only the postcard, but a toaster online!

      Delete
  3. these murals are so original and impressive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely raid the youngest's collection for when you need cards. Why not?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your postcard finds are always interesting! I can totally imagine getting lost in those food buildings - my stomach would be leading the way. It's also quite surprising to think that retired police officers would organize a food fair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Mexican mural looks very tactile. Fascinating link to the Food Zone, what a pity we cannot travel back in time, I'd be heading for the perisphere.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts